Ideas/Designs for (Easily Portable) Carrier for Solar Panel

Old 08-12-22, 12:01 PM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Ideas/Designs for (Easily Portable) Carrier for Solar Panel

My brother got a 100W solar panel, 20x40 inches, which he will use mostly to power a portable fridge in his VW Vanagan/Westphalia van (where he largely lives).

He will want to mount it on a carrier which should have convenient handles. At times he may mount it on the van roof (not permanently!), or place it angled on the ground some distance from the van, attached to battery or long cables that run to the van.

Info on building such a carrier is appreciated. Panel weighs 13 pounds, so not sure if carrier will involve plastic or sheet metal frames/framing. A project involving welding work is unlikely. The panel itself costs about $70, so a carrier built for far more seems unlikely (according to my brother).

Old 08-12-22, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Has he tried to use this 100w panel to run a fridge because it doesn't usually work that way.

Old 08-12-22, 04:24 PM
S
Information About Panel, Battery, and Small Fridge Unit

The panel charges a 12 V storage battery (35 Ah energy storage). That battery then powers a Vevor refrigeration unit that has a 12 VDC input. The refrigeration unit does not have to be powered continuously, as I understand it, but can be done intermittently.

Old 08-12-22, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Ok.

As far as mounting.... a cart or frame wouldn't be a problem but taking it from there and putting it on the roof of a vehicle presents a challenge.

Old 08-12-22, 04:59 PM
S
The Idea/Design I Was Thinking Of

I attached a hand-drawn sketch of the carrier I was thinking of. The frame would be appropriately cut and joined so the panel falls in and can be affixed to the panel's back side with mounting holes already present (image of panel with red arrows). The panel would have some kind of handles that extend out (perhaps) from their attachment to frame. Additionally, the would be mounted (hinged) to a leaf that would act as a base with the side of the leaves with some kind of curved plate that allows angling of the leaves.
These materials would easily be acquired from any home/building supply (Home Depot, etc) cheaply and quickly made with all the proper often common tools, but only with a very well considered design/plan before a single dollar is spent.

I should add that the base of the leaf that does not have the frame that holds the panel would be where he would put the panel on the top of the van: he would have to adapt the panel carrier to the van top, or the van top to the entire carrier

Hand sketch of a solar panel carrier with handles and with hinged leaf that can be adjusted to put it on ground at any angle

Back of the solar panel showing holes where it can be affixed to an appropriately designed and built carrier

Last edited by SteveHomeowner; 08-12-22 at 05:16 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: