Main Breaker Box (outside) to Mobile Home Breaker Box

Old 07-30-01, 07:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Mobile home been here 10 years now. Was new set up, out in the country side. Electrical company installed power pole and ran wires to pole. I installed outside breaker box then ran wires threw conduit (about 20 feet) to mobile home breaker box. A couple of times in past would have to go outside to reset breakers, only have had to reset inside breaker box once. This month have had to go outside to reset about 12 times. Inside the breaker box the breakers are warm, so are the wires going to mobile home. I do not remember what size the wires are.
Question is why are breakers tripping?
I anticipate that answer will include more items plugged in and that probably need to increase wire size.

Thank you
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-01, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post this in the electrical forum as you will get a quicker answer, (More of us experts visit that forum more often), and I know a couple of people that are in a better position to give advice on this perticular question than I.

Old 08-13-01, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
switch

You don't say what amperage switch you have. I assume it is 200 amp. May be overload, but I would check for any signs of arcing at switch outside and in panel in home. May be loose connection causing wires to overheat. Entrance wire should be #2, I think. if signs of arcing are found, check condition of switch, breaker, etc where arcing has taken place. If signs of arcing are found between bottom of outside switch and inside of home, turn switch off and tighten if no damage is evident. If above swith where it receives feed from pole, may have to have power at pole killed. Even with switch off, I always check to make sure there is no power leaking/feeding through from pole in case switch is damged or defective!
P.S. Does this happen mostly when using a certain appliance or plug? If so, may be good place to start trouble shooting. Loose connection, short, etc...

Oh! Like has been posted before, there are more qualified ppl in the other forums to comment on this than I am. Just make suggestions based on my own experience from dealing with rental houses and trying to help others. As with anything electrical, BE CAREFUL!