220V Outlet

Old 08-03-01, 02:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi, I need to replace an outlet in a double gang box that has a 110V outlet on the left and a 220V single outlet on the right. The 220V had been put there to power a through-the-wall Air Conditioner.
My problem is in being unsure about which wire to connect to which side of the outlet. The 220 outlet had been removed and I didn't get a good look at which wire was connected where on the old outlet. The wire colors are pale yellow and white. I don't have a multimeter to check the wires just now.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-01, 12:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Is there no bare or green ground wire?
220v has only two hot (110v) wires going to it (no neutral).
It doesn't matter which hot wire is connected to which terminal.
You might want to post your ? over in the Electrical forum to check on grounding.
Good Luck!

Old 08-13-01, 04:47 AM
220 outlet

Pale yellow and white? Don't understand the color coding here. Familiar with black and white, red and black not pale yellow and white. Anyway, may want to check and see if someone has come off one side of 220 to feed the 110. If so, I think I would disconnect the 110.

P.S. you can make an inexpensive "volt meter" with a 220 volt bulb and socket with two wires coming out of it to use as probes. 220 volts will light the bulb brightly. 110 will light it but not as bright. Years ago, my dad used this for years before he got the meters.

Old 08-13-01, 04:59 AM
grounding

Forgot, unless this really old wiring, this 220 should have a two wire with ground (usually bare wire)for a total of 3 wires, and I would think size #10 feeding it. May want to find out why it was removed.
Not sure about air conditioner plugs, but code here now calls for 4 wire (2 live wires to feed the circuit and 2 grounds) connections for dryers and such. Added safety precaution by suppling a seperate case ground directly to ground bar in panel.

Just my two cents worth. have a good day.