do i have to replace a power cord?

Old 08-03-02, 10:21 AM
Denyse
Visiting Guest
do i have to replace a power cord?

I have a loose power cord on a RCA TV, Model-F25251WN, chasis CTC177AF2, manufactered in 1994.
I would like to know :
Can it be tightened or should I replace it?
Do I have to remove the back of the TV or can it be pulled out?
How do I remove the back of the TV if that's necessary?
Thank you in advance for your help

Old 08-03-02, 11:26 AM
Denyse
Visiting Guest
UPDATE- I removed the back! after removing much dust, it appears the cord is held in place with a plastic clip.Let me go back and state the problem. In order for the tv to come on, i have to jiggle the cord where it meets the tv. sometimes the picture is fine for days. sometimes the picture shrinks and the sound becomes a buzz-hum. however, after removing the back, the cord appears to be intact. Can you help me?

Old 08-03-02, 12:55 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Denyse, The power cord is going to have to be replaced, the break is right at the very end at the chassis. RCA part #215576. As for the vertical and audio problems you need to have the solder joints at the tuner shield resoldered and the solder joints on U4501 resoldered.

Fred

Old 08-03-02, 03:37 PM
Denyse
Visiting Guest
Thank you Fred. Can you tell me how to remove the power cord, and where I can get a replacement? my local radio shack didn't know what I was talking about. Thanks again

Old 08-03-02, 03:52 PM
Denyse
Visiting Guest
Thank you Fred. Can you tell me how to remove the power cord, and where I can get a replacement? my local radio shack didn't know what I was talking about. Thanks again

Old 08-03-02, 04:24 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Denyse, That power cord will have to be purchase from rca. To fix the three problems you have with this television will require discharging high voltage from the picture tube and disassembly of chassis hardware to get the sections you need to get to. If you have never work on a television or this chassis before you should take it to a shop and let them do it.

Fred

Old 08-03-02, 04:29 PM
Denyse
Visiting Guest
i was wondering if you would know how to get into the setup function of programing. my menus are in spanish, which i dont speak!

Old 08-03-02, 04:36 PM
Denyse
Visiting Guest
fred, i temporarily taped the plug and put the cover on. the power is fine, the sound is fine and the picture size is fine!! my problem now is that the picture is on the dark side. did i do something i can undo?
thans

Old 08-03-02, 07:28 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

No need to get a replacement. Take a standard set to pliers and put some pressure on the vinyl jacket. Essentially, pinch the contacts from above. Reinstall the unit and the "crimped" contact will prevail.

Smokey

Old 08-03-02, 08:57 PM
Denyse
Visiting Guest
thanks smokey, will that also fix the now dark picture with intense color?

Old 08-04-02, 12:13 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Denyse, Look on the back of the television around where the power cord is and their are two controls, the top one should be the focus and the bottom one should be the screen. You want the one for the screen, you must of move it when you were taking the back cover off or when you were putting the back cover on. Adjust the screen control just enough to brighten the picture don't over do it. Or you can call up the on screen menu and scroll to your picture controls (contrast, brightness, tint, color, sharpness). Scrolling through the menu you should find the setup screen to make your changes. Start with the on screen brightness adjustment first before moving the one at the back of the television, if you find that the picture is not bright enough then turn the on screen adjustment back to where it was and adjust the screen from the back of the television. The other two problems (vertical collapsing and hum in the audio) are just warnings that EEPROM is failing due to cracked solder joints at the tuner shield. When it does fail it will shutdown the television until the problem is corrected.

Fred

Old 08-04-02, 07:14 AM
Denyse
Visiting Guest
you are incredible!!! Thank you so much. The pivture is perfect. would you happen to know how I can get those menus back to English?

Old 08-04-02, 12:32 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Denyse, Your setup menu should have that imformation and your manual too. If you lost your user manual go to: www.rca.com
They may have a copy under your model you can download.

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: