Hitachi Projection TV

Old 08-13-02, 07:41 AM
buddha101
Visiting Guest
Hitachi Projection TV

I have a 50 inch Hitachi Projection Tv model 50UX18B. Problem is when sympton first started on bright screens a loud buzz and streaks across picture. Symptoms gradually getting worst and now when turning set on cold, picture is distorted (almost like scrambled on all channels). After warming for few minutes picture starts to clear up on most channels and looks almost normal except for a few wavy lines on some channels. Any channel between 46 and 53 has color spots and distortion. Sound is normal.

Old 08-18-02, 03:09 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Old?

I would be willing to say it was the tuner going bad. But Iím no expert on TV. How old is the set? I canít even find a picture of this set on Google, AltaVista anywhere. Even the Hitachi site has no record of it. So that means the model number is wrong or it is so old itís no longer covered in support. I tried eBay, UBid no record there either. So is its over ten years old and never been repaired then I might throw the $150/300 needed to repair it. You may get another few years out of it. But if it has been repaired before and is over ten then time for a new set.

Old 08-18-02, 07:55 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
buddha101, Apparently the problem your having is common with the newer model hitachi big screens. The comb filter module is going bad. This module can either be rebuilt or replaced.

Fred

Old 08-19-02, 06:56 AM
buddha101
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, I have about 25 years TV service but now retired for 6 years and wanted a second opinion before I went into the set. Tuner was bad! Found some bad solder joints and High band was bad, Luckly I had one to replace it with. The set is about 6 years old.

Old 08-19-02, 07:32 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Right...

Hey you gotta mark this down! I was right on a TV question!

Old 08-19-02, 03:57 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Seeeeeeeeee, and you thought you did'nt know televisions.

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: