VCR ejecting tapes

Old 08-16-02, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VCR ejecting tapes

I have a GE Model VG4011 VCR that has started ejecting tapes. It's almost like it hits the end of the tape and kicks into the rewind mode. Any suggestions? It's not worth taking to a shop for repair. Thanks

Old 08-17-02, 12:20 PM
T
I guess I'm confused. On my VCR's they always rewind after it reaches the end of the tape. Or do you mean that it ejects the tape prematurely? Please clarify..... I agree with you about the cost of VCR's now, they just aren't worth repairing when you can buy one for 40 bucks.... I have an old GE VCR in our bedroom and that had a problem with the mechanism that pulls the tape in and out. I sent it out for repair (this was probably 8 years ago ) and it started doing right after I got it back. I took it apart and after a few tries I finally figured out that the drive gear that moves another rack gear was too loose and was causing a binding of the mechanism. I just put a thin washer in behind it and its been working ever since....

Old 08-17-02, 03:01 PM
Clear as mud

When typing my fingers don't always keep up with the my brain! The VCR will play along for awhile and then just prematurely quit & eject.

Old 08-17-02, 06:36 PM
T
Yes, thank you for clearing that up. I can see how that could be a problem.... I am not a VCR expert by any means but it sounds to me like a tension problem. That is, the VCR may be detecting the end of the tape when in reality it is not there yet.One of the moderators, I think it was Smokey had a link to an excellent website that you could do your own troubleshooting on. I've used it myself and it worked for me. I'll bet if you check the archives you could find that link in there....Good Luck.

Old 08-18-02, 02:16 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool VCR

Cool a VCR question What’s happening is the belts, tires etc in the unit are getting old and stretching/shrinking. So the tape slows down enough that the tape speed sensor (Hall Effect transistor under one or both of the take up reels) see that the tape has stopped. This is actually throwing an error to the CPU so the deck protects itself and your deck kicks the tape. Could also be a sensor failure, data line on a servo chip went low. There are two IR sensors that detect the tape end, start. You will see a small tower sticking up right in the middle of the transport and protrudes into the cassette itself. Clean that tower with a Q-Tip and some alcohol. I have posted a complete how to clean a VCR in http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...threadid=79737
Were you playing Barney and friends and the deck committed suicide? Run don’t walk to your nearest whatever and pickup a new one. Under $100 for JVC stereo. Personal is to stay away from non branded VCR’s. Sharp, JVC, Toshiba, Samsung all have good warranties and good decks. VCR is as dead as the 8-Track is but the body just doesn’t realize the head has been lopped off by cheap junk out off Taiwan etc… Uh Um, never mind…

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: