Pioneer TV problem

Old 08-26-02, 08:46 AM
RT27
Visiting Guest
Pioneer TV problem

Our Pioneer SD-P55A3 projection TV went out suddenly. When you hit the power switch, you can hear the relays and the power light goes green briefly, then back to red. If you hit the remote power switch again nothing happens, unless you first cucle the power to the set.

I've repaired smaller tv's before, but I need to find a service manual if I'm going to look at this. Does anyone know a good source to find one.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-02, 10:26 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
RT27, I've checked the usual websites and no such luck either. Contact pioneer direct.

Pioneer/Parts Support: 1-800-457-2881

Fred

Old 08-29-02, 12:30 PM
mateshal
Visiting Guest
I have the exact same problem with my Pioneer 55 inch.
I had a serviceman from PC Richard come look at the set. He told me that I need a whole new Power Board. He looked at my TV for 15 seconds and told me that. He later called me and told me that the board would be about $375.00 and it would take 10days to get the board. He could not tell me me what specifically went wrong, or how I could possibly prevent it in the future.

Is that right.... Is that price correct.... Is there another way!

Old 09-04-02, 09:20 AM
RT27
Visiting Guest
I looked at my set this weekend and found a fuse had blown on the power board. Replaced it and it's been working fine.

Old 09-04-02, 10:02 AM
mateshal
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. Is this something I can do? Is the fuse visable and accessable? I'd rather not pay for a whole board if I don't need one.

Thanks again.

Old 09-04-02, 11:35 AM
RT27
Visiting Guest
Yes, there are two fuses on the power board which are easily accessible. It was my wife's idea that maybe "it's only a fuse", so when I opened it and saw them, that was the first thing I checked. Only one was blown in my set. I bought a 4-pack of them at Radio Shack Saturday evening for about $2. I feel pretty lucky, as I was afraid I'd be buying a whole new board.

Old 09-04-02, 11:52 AM
mateshal
Visiting Guest
A $2.00 fuse!!!! That is great! I will take a look at my set tonight.
You are a life saver! ...and a money saver

Thank you very much. I 'll let you know my results.

Old 09-05-02, 07:55 AM
mateshal
Visiting Guest
RT27...... Thanks so much.

I opened up my set last night and checked the fuses. There were about 5 or 6 of them. I found the blown one. I zipped over to Radio Shack and purchased a pack of 4 for $1.89. When I got home, my family gathered around as I replaced the fuse and hit the power button. ....WHALA

I appreciate your help. If I can help you in any way, please do not hesitate to ask.

Old 09-05-02, 11:24 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
You've got a shorted diode in the bridge circuit in the power supply from the sounds of it.

Find a service manual? Sure. Check here:
http://www.treasurechestcorp.com/Default.htm

Cost of repair: about $2 when you find the right component.

Smokey

Old 09-16-02, 03:40 PM
mateshal
Visiting Guest
The fuse replacement was a temporary fix... it keeps blowing.

I ordered the service manual from the link you provided. I don't have the manual yet however is there something else you can tell me at this point about this diode. What I may need or need to do to replace or repair it.

.....clueless..............

Old 09-16-02, 04:04 PM
RT27
Visiting Guest
When a fuse blows, it usually means something else went bad to cause it. And a bad diode could be it.

Any of the parts on the board can be replaced with standard soldering equipment. The trick is finding it and for that, you'll probably need a scope or a good meter.

Good luck, sorry it wasn't a simple as the fuse. I've been waiting to see if mine blows again for the last couple of weeks. I tried to order the manual from the above link, but they don't have one for my model. Pioneer wants $125. A little steep, but I'll probablyy go ahead and get it before I have to go back in to the set.

Old 05-23-03, 04:19 PM
ericm23
Visiting Guest
Pioneer tv power board

Hello,

I have a problem much like other pioneer projection(SD-P5043) tv owners. My power board appears to be bad. I am tired of hearing prices of $500 to $700 dollars to fix it when I have been told it might just be cold solder joints. Anyway I bought a new power supply on e-bay and need to ask one important question. How do I discharge the original capasitor? Do I need a tool. I have been told to use a resistor but I am not sure how to do this?

Thanks for your help
ERICM23

Old 06-05-03, 10:27 PM
mauibound
Visiting Guest
Same thing has happened to me I have a sd-p62a5k. And yes- a fuse was blown! I will be headed to Radio Shack to replace it tomorrow.

I hope this will not be a continuing problem.

NOTE- this is a continueing problem- I'm now getting the Convergence IC's replaced

Last edited by mauibound; 06-10-03 at 09:53 PM.