What do these TV controls mean?

Old 08-27-02, 07:26 AM
ssj5
Visiting Guest
What do these TV controls mean?

These are the controls on the back of my TV (RCA F35050STNM1).

*Focus

*Screen

*Drive *Bias *Vert
(G&R/B) (B,G,R) (Ctr, Width, Hgt)

What do these controls do? I have a repeating line in my screen and someone mentioned that playing with these controls could help clear up the problem. I don't want to mess with anything without checking first. Thanks

Old 08-29-02, 04:32 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Little more info...

Focus is obvious, Screen is most likely the brightness control. Drive, Bias etc are not to be adjusted without equipment to monitor voltages etc. Anyway adjustment of these controls will not fix what you are experiencing. Can you be more specific in your problem definition? What kind of line? On all channels? Vertical or horizontal? How old is the set? Does it happen hot? Cold?

Old 08-30-02, 09:00 AM
ssj5
Visiting Guest
I will try to be as descriptive as possible. It is one line, very defined. A thin line that shows up on all channels and input stations. The line itself is mainly a horizontal line, but it wraps and crisscrosses to fill the whole screen. I have attached a file that shows exactly what the line looks like. I am still working on getting a digital camera to snap a picture of the screen. I have also noticed that when my playstation is plugged into the input, the lines double and shrink, I guess because the frequency changes. I called a repair shop and went into great detail about the problem and he thinks it may be my tuner, or my tube. The set was made in 1992, and was given to me a couple weeks ago as a gift. I am not sure if it happens when the set is hot, I have only tried it while the set is cold. I just have it sitting in my floor, with the back off. None of the adjustments worked in the back either. the lines always seem to be there. Any ideas?

Old 08-30-02, 09:11 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Tuner...

Unfortunately I am not a TV expert. I am barely able to repair my own TV stuff. Our current expert Fred either missed this or like me has been busy these last few days and now a three day is coming up. To me it doesnít sound like the CRT, the tuner could be suspect since the line covers the entire screen. Do you notice any picture shrinkage? The tuner is most likely electronic so wonít be cleanable but what you might try is re-solder the tuner connections, there is heat there so letís hope for that.

Old 08-30-02, 09:16 AM
ssj5
Visiting Guest
Thanks, like yourself, I am not a TV expert either. I am comfortable with soldering, but I have never even opened a tv before this. Where will I find the tuner? Is it the board that is attached to the back of the tube?

Old 08-30-02, 09:25 AM
ssj5
Visiting Guest
Cause of dust??

the tv has been repaired in the past for a similar problem. when I opened the set, I have never seen so much dust in my life!! Could dust be a cause of the problem? I am only asking because too much dust eventually fried my computer one time. I know that cleaning it probably won't fix the problem, but I am wondering if the dust makes the problem keep coming back?

Old 08-30-02, 09:31 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Dust...

Oh yea! Dust is conductive, has static properties etc. Blow it out good and look the solder joints over, I bet the dust is causing thisÖ

Old 08-30-02, 09:45 AM
ssj5
Visiting Guest
Oh boy! I may have found the problem. Ok I am ready to do this tonight!

What should I use to get the dust out? I don't want to damage anything and the dust is thick, layered. I was told that it hasn't been cleaned in 8 years. I have some canned air, but it doesn't get everything out.

And hopefully my final question... what solder joints are you referring to in particular? Am I looking for cracks or lack of solder or what? I have never had to fix anything due to a solder problem before. Thanks a million!

Old 08-30-02, 10:29 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
ssj5, Like big mike was saying the focus control speaks for itself, the screen control is for your background screen brightness, the drive controls are for the amount of red/green/blue color(these are set at factory and are rarely readjusted), bias (or cutoff) controls are use to adjust for greyscale(a black and white screen)which is needed to achieve a pure color screen image. Vertical centering centers the picture, vertical width controls how wide the picture will be,and vertical height controls how tall the picture will be.

Fred

Old 08-30-02, 02:16 PM
ssj5
Visiting Guest
Any ideas about my last post? Where are the important solder joints that I should be checking and what should I look for (cracks, lack of solder)?? I am wondering the details before I go attempt a repair tonight. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: