Pioneer SD-P-5053 Convergence Board

Old 08-28-02, 05:40 PM
gtmarchese
Visiting Guest
Question Pioneer SD-P-5053 Convergence Board

Dear sir:

I have a 10 year old Pioneer projection TV, model number SDP5053. The color convergence of the TV appears to be the issue. The red color slightly ghosts i.e. does not match up with other colors in the picture. The main picture is overlapped with another fainter picture that is red. This second picture is also distorted a little with respect to the main picture. No adjustment or resetting makes any difference. The other colors seem fine.

My assumption is that the covergence board is bad. Is this correct?

How difficult is it to replace the covergence board on a Pioneer projection television? Is this something I (someone with little experience in this area) could handle. What tools or equipment would be necesary to tackle this task, besides of course the new board. Is there a reference guide or some other type of instruction manual I could utilize to help me replace the board.

I have spoken with couple of Pioneer authorized servicers and the cost to fix this by a professional would be over $600. I contacted Pioneer and the cost for a new board is $170. I don't feel that the tv is worth salvaging for $600 due to its age and the fact that the current price of HDTVs has come down considerably.

I would be willing to spend $170 and fix it myself if it is not too terribly complicated.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 08-29-02, 04:39 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
gtmarchese, The three most commom problems with pioneer is the powersupply/sweep board, convergence board, and the I.F. pack. Its not hard to replace the convergence board, just disassemble the front speaker section to get to where it is located.

Fred

Old 08-29-02, 12:56 PM
gtmarchese
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info., I will give it try.

Will I need to make any adjustments or modify settings etc. after I have installed the board?

Old 09-01-02, 01:38 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Generally the front panel adjustments should do the trick.

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: