Sony 29" Trinitron

Old 09-02-02, 08:44 AM
bacon225
Visiting Guest
Question Sony 24" Trinitron Widescreen KV-24WS1C

My parents recently changed TVs andf I got the old one which was a Sony 24" trinitron widescreen (not massive but better than my portable ). Anyway it worked fine for a month or 2, then started to get problems, after watching for about 2 hrs, the Tv would go into a bright blue screen then either turn itself off, or go back to the programme that was on after about 5 mins. I couldn't be bothered getting it repaired, because my parents used to have similar problems with it (plus one of the speakers wasn't giving out any sound) they sent it for repair and it cost them about 100 (I live in the UK) and they appeared to have replaced a part which looked like a metal box, where the RF aerial lead goes into. Anyway, the problem kept on getting worse until eventually it got to the point where you turn the TV on it goes blue then goes off again , which is the state i'm in now, I would like to repair the problem myself if possible, but first I need to know what the problem is, anybody got any ideas?????? (I need my TV back ). Also can anybody tell me the name of the part and about how much it would be in the shops to buy (I don't mind opening my TV it is way out of warranty).

Thanks

Old 09-02-02, 01:07 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
bacon225, That metal box should be the tuner that was replaced. Check the first place you posted, I left an answer there.

Fred

Old 09-02-02, 02:21 PM
bacon225
Visiting Guest
i read your first reply, strangely after having the TV off for several weeks the problem seems to be gone, but this has happened before then it came back. I will count the blinking next time it happens, also I don't know if this is nething to do with it but whenever I turn the TV on 2 white sort of curves appear going from small to big on either side of the screen from top to bottom. hope that helps anyway, I know it will happen again, so i'll jus thave to wait to count the blinking.

Old 09-02-02, 02:43 PM
bacon225
Visiting Guest
Another problem with another sony!

whilst i'm on here may as well ask another TV related question this time it is a similar TV although not a widescreen and only a 21" Sony Trinitron (Model Number: KV-X21620). The problem with this one seems to be sum sort of loose connection, which has only appeared recently, this TV is used mostly for playing games (GameCube through SCART) and occasionaly watching TV (terrestrial and digital sattalite, through RF and extension form digibox (with remote control IR eye). The problem is that when watching TV, playing games or just with a blank screen, white lines scroll down the screen randomly, it isn't at a certian speed, usually fast though, and they just appear at random times. sumtimes all the times at other times now and again, it always happens when walking across the floor, but can also happens when there is no vibration etc. the lines dissapear for a short time if you hit the side of the TV (gently but firmly). But they return later. Any ideas?????

Old 09-02-02, 06:04 PM
bacon225
Visiting Guest
about the first problem, I counted the blinking and it doesn't blink it just goes strauight into standby, you cant get out of it you have to turn it off then wait a few mins and turn the TV back on.

any ideas????

Old 09-03-02, 12:07 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
bacon225, Like most sony's they are known for cracked solder joints. i would check the D board and the main chassis in and around the tuner and I.F. pack. There is a possible the I.F. pack is failing.

On the first set. Did the picture look like an hour glass when that happen?

Fred

Old 09-03-02, 12:31 PM
bacon225
Visiting Guest
the first problem (widescreen 24"):
The problem has now gone back to an earlier state after having the TV off for about 2 months. Now the TV works fine but every so often, the picture just goes blue then the TV goes in standby. When the TV goes blue u can hear a distinct difference in the frequency of sound the tv makes, like the sound when changing channels. Also white bars goe accross the screen and the picture distorts sort of leans to the left and the outsides become curvey rather than straight.

the second problem (regular 21"):

I looked at it again 2day, heres sum of the problems I get:

1. When the TV gets moved (by vibration), white lines appear in random placed on the creen going horizontal, when there is a moving picture on these appear more like lines of brightness, when this happens the tv makes a high pitches sound like when changing channels but does this randomly as well, eventually it usually calms down after about 15 seconds, then goes back to normal, but it can do this many times when viewing, which gets annoying.

2. There are a number of lines at the top of the screen all the time, there are 10 lines which seem to get further apart as you go further down, followed by a gap underneath of about 1.5cm, then you get 2 lines of blue, 2 of green and 2 of red, with a gap of about 0.25 cm between each of them, these colored lines appear to slant on the right hand side because the further down the line is the shorter it gets. The top 10 lines appear to show a reverse image of what is on the screen, which makes it look like the top of the screen (below the lines) is being stretched upwards.

hope this helps.

Old 09-03-02, 11:31 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Anyway you can take a snapshot of those screens and email them to me?

Fred

Old 09-04-02, 05:32 AM
bacon225
Visiting Guest
I haven't got a camera at the moment (last one died on me!), I was gonna get a digital camera soon, but i can't get it till I go back to work (next week, I can get em for cheap from there ).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: