noise when adjusting balance control

Old 11-05-02, 03:57 PM
jandrewnels
Visiting Guest
noise when adjusting balance control

I have an NAD receiver, over 15 yrs. old, with analog dial controls. The best example
of the symptom it's having is when the balance is all the way to the left channel
and you roll back in some right channel there is a lot of crackling noise before the music
comes in clear in that right channel. It also does it the opposite way, if you start in the rt. channel
and roll in some left channel. Appreciate any theories on this. Is this noise rough on speakers?

Thanks,

JA

Old 11-05-02, 04:55 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Cleaning...

The potentiometer(s) is dirty. You can get a can of tuner cleaner from Radio Shack and clean the pots. You will have to disassemble the unit to the point you can get to the pots, if you look where the wires connect to the switches you will see a gap. With the power off give short bursts into the switch while rotating the pot. This should take care of it. And yes it could be detrimental to your speakers if the volume is up high and it pops, could blow the voice coil right out the front of the cone. Not likely but anything is possible when you’re dealing with the electron gods…

Old 11-06-02, 08:57 AM
jandrewnels
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Bigmike. Hadn't had the guts to open the receiver's cabinet yet, but I think I can handle it. Appreciate your input!

Thanks,

JA

Old 11-06-02, 12:06 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Okay...

Yea it's not that hard man, no wires should have to be pulled etc. I bet you that removing the screws from the bottom of the can gives access to the pots. If you want to shoot a couple pictures of the bottom, back etc I can pretty much tell you what to do... Send the pics to my profile address, 15 Meg box and it's checked every 15 minutes so you won’t fill it up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: