channel changer

Old 10-17-02, 12:28 PM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
channel changer

Have a montgomery ward 19'' tv- probably 15 yrs old-model JSA12668. Our cable box requires that the tv be set on ch4. Somehow, last nite it got changed to ch3, and will not change back-either with the remote or the tv up or down buttons. My daughter said it changed when she pushed the tv/catv button on the tv. I can get a very short flicker of a program by repeatedly pushing this button in/out (milisecond flicker). Any ideas on what to do? Tv normally works great, so hate to junk it. Just picked my daughter up from dentist's where she had 4 wisdom teeth extracted, so she will be bed for awhile, and needs tv.
Thanks for any help.
chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-02, 04:46 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Unplug and pray...

If itís not even working with the front buttons something more than a dead battery has happened. Unplug the set for an hour or so and hope for a hiccup in a circuit somewhere. Other than that itís probably not worth repair. Call cable or look on the back of the converter, most have a selector for channel 3 or 4. Too old for A/V jacks but Radio Shack sells a device (modulator) that converts A/V to RF frequencies. But it's $45/50... Wally World has a 19" no name for $109.00.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/searc...query=19%22+tv

Old 10-17-02, 05:26 PM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Mike--am heading to Wallyworld now. If that don't work,Circuit has an RCA stereo for 149. Thanks again (we just started counting back, and this one is 18 yrs old--origional remote has been gone for years--generic has worked good, and I just used it on other tv and works on it, so is tv.
chuck

Old 10-18-02, 06:10 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool TV...

Well that is one heck of a run. We had an old Zenith that mom and dad bought when i was like 9 months old. Real wood 27" I think. I used it untill I was 21... You wont even come close to that today! Try to stay brand name, they tend to hold up better but they are all pretty much the same except for the really cheapies...

Old 10-18-02, 06:45 PM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
Mike, looked at--even brought Walmart one home, but it was mono--discovered when I looked for dvd connections, so took it back and got 19" RCA stereo from C.C. Was only 149,so figured that was a better way to go. I'm old enough to remember playing stereo albums on momo record player (and how ratty they sounded). Gonna take thje old tv apart and see if its something simple, like a loose connection, etc. Thanks again,
chuck

Old 10-18-02, 11:44 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Dance...

Remember thereís a bunch of voltage in there! Make you do a dance you could win a contestÖ