zenith vcr

Old 10-28-02, 05:04 PM
buffalo_jill
Visiting Guest
zenith vcr

Hi, I have a zenith vcr, model #VR4176, which is 5 years old. Today I turned it on to remove a tape, and I had to hit eject 3 times before the tape came out. Just as I was ready to insert a new tape , it made a strange sound, like it had accepted a tape and was pulling it in to play, same sound, but kinda muffled and sick. It then quickly flashed the channel, shut itself down and displayed the word "ALARM" instead of the time.
I have turned the power on several times since and it goes through the exact same steps from the funny sound, shutting down and displaying ALARM.
Any idea's what the problem could be?

Old 10-29-02, 03:32 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Replace...

That could be several things all of which are a pain in the can to fix. It’s a shame it has got to this point but go buy a new one. Best Buy has stereo VCR’s for less than $70. There is no way you can fix what you have for less than $35 even if you do it. Parts will run say $15 with a new pinch roller plus S&H say $5, and your time has to be worth at least $10 an hour. Really, since it’s a Zenith, I wouldn’t repair it anyway. They really did Springfield wrong when they left to go to Mexico! Left a lot of my friends with 15 plus years of service hanging. Jeez, didn’t see that soapbox… Go Sharp, you will be pleased and they have good customer service if you aren’t. Dig a little deeper and go JVC or Sony if you want a higher end VCR.

Old 10-29-02, 04:19 PM
buffalo_jill
Visiting Guest
The kicker is we paid $199.99, for this "wonderful" Zenith piece of junk.
I forgot why, but it had special features that my hubby HAD to have.
I took the cover off just to look and compared it to another working vcr and it looks like the "cam gear" is jammed in the wrong position? Does this make sense? Let me put it this way, the cam gear on the broken one does move like the cam gear on the working one, nor is it in the same position.

(mind you, I have no real knowledge of electronics, but I have fixed a few vcr's, computers and a couple of gameboy's before, don't ask me how, I kind of just figure it out as I go, lol. But I only play around with something if it is headed for the trash.

Don't laugh, but IF this cam gear thingy is the problem, is it a major repair or is it something I could figure out?

Old 10-29-02, 05:27 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Yes, it would be considered major. No real electronics but the unit has jumped time most likely from a broken gear or belt etc. The schematic will be needed and they can be a real SOB to do or easy as pie. How old is it? Has it ever been repaired before? If it is only a couple years old and will cost say $150 new then don’t spend more than $80 tops to fix it, $80 to replace, $40 to repair etc. A good all around VCR is Sharp. Start going up the line to JVC, Sony. My JVC actually controls my satellite receiver, gave $150 for it in 2000 so probably $100 or less today.

Old 10-29-02, 06:02 PM
buffalo_jill
Visiting Guest
ok mike, done deal, we're getting a new one.
Thanks soooooo much for your help.
(now i get to play with the broken one )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: