Whistleing, high pitch squeel driving us nuts!

Old 10-24-02, 02:08 AM
T
Tuberocity
Visiting Guest
Question Whistleing, high pitch squeel driving us nuts!

We have a 5 year old Sharp 27 inch tv. It is whistling at us in a high pitch! Driving us nuts! If you hit the tv gently the whistle goes away for a few minutes, but is so reliable about returning. ??????? HELP!!!! Something must be loose, as the knocking stops the squeel. Something I can fix? The noise is coming from the rear of the set, not the speakers. Thanks all Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-02, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow From a TV repairman

Turbocity now for MY area of experise (doors and windows is a hobby, TV repair is my living)
You have a transformer with "loose" windings causing the problem.
I have tried everything from rubber wedges to hot glue to get rid of the noise but the only thing that seems to last is replacing the transformer.
With the set open you should be able to apply light pressure to the offensive transformer and get it to stop squealing.

Old 10-25-02, 09:41 AM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Turberocity,You can also use hard cardboard or wooden match sticks wedged in between the ferrite core and case windings. Thats how manufacturers did it in the old days (50's,60's and 70's)to eliminate the problem. True , the best is to replace it.

Fred

Old 10-25-02, 10:32 AM
T
Tuberocity
Visiting Guest
Anything in there gonna elcetricute me? I took the back off yesterday pushing on the offending part, and the whistleing stopped, but alas it is startting up again. I couldn't get the TV to turn on with the back off? There must be a safety switch somewhere that is tripped when the back is removed. I will look fo it, but am slightly worried about that stupid shock hazzard statement on the back of the set. Never stopped me in the past, but then again, never had a picture tube to worry about exploding in my face!
Thanks Tom

Old 10-25-02, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Comfort level

The high voltage doesn't bother me because I work on them every day.
Most newer sets don't have a safety shut off.
Make sure the chassis hasn't slid back a bit when the rear cover is off.
This will make the plastic buttons on the front not touch the switches.
As far as tubes exploding, I have yet to see one explode in my 12 years of TV service (unless it was dropped or physically mishandled of course)
Don't be afraid of it, but DO RESPECT IT !!