Magnavox RM8530 Big Screen No Green CRT

Old 11-26-02, 10:36 AM
prothe
Visiting Guest
Magnavox RM8530 Big Screen No Green CRT

I have a RM8530 that I have been trying to fix. I was in the process of changing the coolant, when I turned the TV on to see if anything had changed. Now I can see that the green CRT isn't on and my tuner isn't working. Did I fry something? Is it better to try to part the TV out now? The screen is very dim now, and out of focus. The screen was rather blue and I was hoping that changing the blue fluid (which was very bad) would fix the problem.

Old 11-28-02, 06:09 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Check your voltages on the crt board for the green crt. Remove the crt board if the voltages are low and recheck. What did you use to remove the cooling fluid?

Fred

Old 12-17-02, 12:27 PM
prothe
Visiting Guest
Freddy, thanks for the reply. I've been kind of slow. And I am kind of slow as you will see?

How do I check the voltage on the CRT? There are some good thick wires going to the CRT. Is this what I check. I think I can do this today. Or am I checking the voltage on the little PCB under the CRT? When I look into the CRT, I can see a picture, but there is no light coming out of the tube.

I used a plastic eye dropper to change the fluid. When the fluid was low enough not to spill, I opened up the lense and cleaned the rest of the fluid off. It was very slow, but it did the job.

Old 12-17-02, 12:50 PM
prothe
Visiting Guest
I looked at the TV again. The green is working now, but the TV has problems. The tuner doesn't work, but I don't really need it, because I can use the AUX inputs. I can see the green flickering a little bit, and the TV resets itself after a few minutes. What I mean by reset is going from AUX1 to Cable input. I'm assuming that there is a power supply problem that is shorting something out.

Also, I noticed that the menu has a convergence adjustment. Is this any good? It stinks that my green is off, and there are only adjustments for blue and red.

Old 12-17-02, 03:19 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Check the voltages on the crt boards not at the second anodes(three large wires going to the picture tubes). It takes a special high voltage probe to check for voltage there.

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: