Dad's Mitsubishi TV has no picture...help

Old 12-15-02, 05:39 PM
js69
Visiting Guest
Dad's Mitsubishi TV has no picture...help

My dad's Mitsubishi TV suddenly stopped working his weekend. It makes two klicking noises when you hit the power button but has no picture. There is faint muffled sound. The menu item still display on the screen, so I assume the picture tube is still good.

The TV is a 36" model with a wooden console that is approx 7-8 years old and was working fine up to this.

We are handy, but by no means electronics experts. My first recommendation to my dad was to scrap it and buy a new one, since a repair would likely end up costing $300-500 (just a guess). For that much, he might as well buy something new for $800-1000.

However, after reading some previous posts on similar, although not necessarily the same, problems it sounds like it could be something relatively simple like a burned out solder joint or a power supply. If that's the case, maybe we should tinker with it a bit and see if we get lucky.

I am looking for some advice on what the problem might be, and more importantly whether it's something that can be fixed by mechanically inclined average Joe with limited electronics experience. If it's not something for the novice, is it worth calling in the experts or not.

First time using the site, and I appreciate the help. I'll have to check some of the other areas (that I actually have experience in) and return the favor! Thanks.

Old 12-15-02, 08:21 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Whats the model number and date of manufacture of this television?

Fred

Old 12-17-02, 06:06 PM
js69
Visiting Guest
Model CK3536R Mfr date 11/91. thanks again.

Old 12-20-02, 09:34 PM
frank1a
Visiting Guest
Mitsubishi Projection TV No Picture

I had a smiilar problem with my 44 inch Mitsubishi Projection TV, Model VS-404R and a card had to be ordered from overseas taking about 1 1/2 weeks in 1995. No charge since TV was still under 30 day warranty used. TV worked for 3 months then same problem occured...probably caused by bad transformer or power supply or transistor....since TV has no SVHS input due to its age, probably not worth paying to have it repaired...it repair bill is 50% or more of new TV...buy new TV !!!

Note...power is on with channed displayed in front, but nothing from picture projector.

Old 12-25-02, 08:21 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Tech Tip as follows:

1)Dead. Click only./Open R903 (220kohm@1/4watt resistor) off pin#3 of Ic901.

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: