How do I properly clean a big screen TV screen?

Old 12-20-02, 03:41 PM
toddgl
Visiting Guest
How do I properly clean a big screen TV screen?

I have a Hitachi that is about 5 years old. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-02, 08:35 PM
beeper
Visiting Guest
I too would like to know how to clean the screen and also do the tubes inside need to be cleaned. must be full of dust inside and Iam sure it contributes to picture degrading.

Old 12-21-02, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean plastic screens with NON-ammonia glass cleaner. Turtle Wax ClearVue is one available to use.

beeper,
if you've got tubes inside your TV, stay out of there. It's simply time to upgrade. Ask Santa.

fred

Old 12-21-02, 07:29 PM
beeper
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your cleaning tips......set is 4 years old and the tubes I ment were the picture tubes ..its projection tv.

Old 12-21-02, 08:31 PM
lol,
ok beeper,

It should be okay inside, even with some dust. Save that cleaning for the tech the first time the set needs serviced.
Alot of fun loading a big projection in the truck, unless you can find a 'Dr' that makes house calls.
Happy Holidays,
fred

Old 12-22-02, 02:44 PM
Lightbulb House calls

House calls are still avalible, I do them all day for a living on RPTV's and large direct view sets.
We charge $85.00 for the service call/cleaning/adjustments.
Take the screen off, clean mirror, screens and crt's, adjust focus, G2 and convergence as needed.

Old 12-23-02, 03:43 PM
$85 is a good price for a house call on a big screen. We charge 65 for a basic Sat dish call.
I'm sure the big screen would require considerably more time.

fred

Old 12-23-02, 06:19 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I can tell you what NOT to clean it with, anything that foams! It's a PITA to get the foam out of the little crevises. I ended up just taking both screens outside and hosing them down.. worked great.

As for the lenses, you shouldn't really be getting much dust in there. What you can do though is look at them, they should be clear, if they seem cloudy, or you can see particles, it's time to change the cooling fluid (if yours is so equipped). At 4 yrs, it's probably time anyway, and will make a huge difference in picture quality.

RE: house calls, I don't call anyone that can't come to my house to service my tv. I feel the less a 60" tv gets moved around (especially bouncing around in the back of a truck), the better.

My TV guy charges $50+parts for a house call.

Old 12-23-02, 06:57 PM
Thumbs up $50.00 + parts

If he can do it for $50 and still stay in business, he is doing better than most of us.
Keep him as long as he can afford to stay in business !!

Old 12-23-02, 07:50 PM
beeper
Visiting Guest
Thanks all for the good advise....can get service in my area to the house, not sure of amount but under $100 . Guess I'll wait for that call to do the cleaning.