Proscan not responding to remote

Old 03-12-03, 08:44 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Proscan not responding to remote

I have a Proscan (Thompson electronics) VCR with VCR plus gold feature. I bought before Y2K and ASSuMEd it would be compliant. It was not. I returned it to the store (Circuit City) and they shipped to mfg and had it repaired. Ever since then then the feature that sets the time/date from PBS signal has not worked and now it will not respond to ANY remote. I contacted Circuit City and they said to buy a new VCR (grrrrr). The VCR is no longer under warranty, but it works fine otherwise. Just a pain, bc it can not be controlled via remote (and the date/time has to be manually reset - ie daylight savings).

Any suggestions on how to repair this for less than the cost of a new VCR?

Old 03-12-03, 09:06 AM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
I don't think the Y2K has anything to do with your remote. Y2k problem will only impact the clock chip inside the VCR simply it does not know how to interpert the calandar beyond y00 (2000 or 1900). The remote is dummy and has no clock/calandar intellegence.

Your problem with the remote can be coincidental.
If controls on the TV panel is still working, you might want to check your remote including its batteries!! (do not overlook the basic)

If you don't have a scope, one way to check if the (IR) remote is working or not is by using a camcorder. The CCD in the camcorder can pick up lower frequency spectrum than what we can see (infra-red = lower then red frequency). So basically the camcorder can see the IR. If you push any buttons on the IR, you should see the IR source in your remote blinks when you look through your camcorder. If it does not blink, your remote may be dead. I found this trick accidentally and want to share for the benefit of others as well.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-12-03, 09:59 AM
U
Well, we've tried several universal remotes that do control other devices (TV, stereo), so its' not the batteries or codes.

I will try the IR suggestion tho, thanks. I've contacted both Circuit City and Thomson/RCA once again concerning these problems. I really like the unit and would buy another if I didn't feel I was throwing my money down a black hole.

Old 03-13-03, 10:51 PM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
If your remote is tested woking, you might have a problem with the IC that interprets the remote control codes inside the TV. Do the controls on your TV also not working? If they both don't work, it's likely the IC.

Replacing the chip should fix the remote problem, but it still don't fix your Y2K.

Old 03-14-03, 06:48 AM
U
I think it is theIC chip. That is how CC diagnosed considering all my other devices this remote controls work fine.

Any suggestions about how I can fix this and where I can get instructions or parts. I no longer have a warranty to void.

Old 03-14-03, 02:37 PM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
If you are willing to fix it yourself, you can start by getting schematics or service manual of your TV. I got mine from www.servicemanuals.net

The manual is very detail and helps me save a lot of time in locating components. It also provide dc voltages at key test points and even waveforms, if you have a scope. All you have to do is to measure DC voltages of the suspected area and compare with what in the schematic. Soon you will find the faulty component.

In your case, since you suspect the IC, you can use the manual to locate the IC, and then measure the DC voltages on all the pins of that IC and compare to the schematics. It depends on what you find, the IC might not be bad but the component around it can be leaky, short or open. You may also want to notice if the IC has proper voltage supply into it as well.

About replacement parts, if it is generic (R/C/std TR) you can go to www.digikey.com. If generic TV components, www.electronix.com. If specific proscan, you might have to ask your local service dealer to order one for you.

Old 03-14-03, 03:28 PM
U
Thanks! Wow, this might be a bit challenging for me. Perhaps I better thump RCA and CC again before I make this final attempt.

Old 03-14-03, 09:37 PM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
Don't worry, everybody got to have the first time. I can guarantee you sense of satisfaction and high self esteem after you fixed it yourself. You should not call it a final attempt, it might just be the beginning.

I have never forgot the look in my dad's eyes when I fixed my fisrt TV in 1976 (my dad's vacuum tube TV) when I was still in the teen. Though he did not say much, but I knew that he was amazed, and proud of me. I just can not describe the feeling enough, and I really want others to experience it........

Old 03-27-03, 03:49 PM
U
My spouse is gonna clobber me. I popped in the head cleaner tape in our 15+ yo VCR (the other one) and now it plays horribly. First time this was ever cleaned - go figure. If we watch a tape in double time, it's fine. I think it ruined 2 of the 4 heads (??).

Well, it looks like NOW it the time to start tinkering - wish me luck.

Old 03-29-03, 04:36 PM
U
www.servicemanuals.net

does not carry service manual for my brand/model.

Suggestions? I've played with computers and mechanical stuff, but not appliances. Help - where to start. Now I've got 2 to fix!

Old 04-01-03, 09:21 AM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
try this web:
http://www.geocities.com/tvtechplus/brand-mod.html

Sorry, been extremely busy at work lately.

Old 06-11-03, 03:03 PM
U
Bumping this up.

Got my spouse's VCR working again. I popped off the cover and cleaned the heads and gave unit a thorough dusting with some compressed air. It was still snowy. I played with the tracking and still was not working. After letting the tape play awhile while scouring the net for tips, I noticed the tape was playing normal. VIOLA!

I rewound and tested again. Played great from the beginning. I then tested in record/playback mode. Still good.

Okay, now I'm inspired. I still want to fix my Proscan. I did the same (preventative measure), but still need to fix the IR component. I can't seem to find info or part for this.

Proscan
PSVR74

I also have another unit that I believe needs new pulleys.
Sharp
VC-A206U
Will not play or record. Starts and then stops.

Where can I purchase parts? I'm going to check the above links once again. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Old 06-11-03, 04:14 PM
U
Really freaky.

http://www.rca.com/service/inference...fer_search.y=7

I tried this link and took the batteries out of the remote, held down the 5 button for a minute to "reset the remote". I'd never heard of this, but I also just learned how to reset a VCR too.

Here's the weird part. I turned on the VCR and now the remote can turn it off, but nothing else.

Okay, what the heck is wrong with this thing?!

Old 06-11-03, 05:16 PM
U
I feel like such a yutz. I got another universal remote and set it to RCA codes (was already a RCA remote) and it did not work.

I played with the Proscan remote some more and tried the VCR2 button. IT WORKS!

The VCR1 button only controls power off if I hit it twice.

VCR2 button runs everything just fine.

No explaination for this. I'm very confused, but overjoyed.

Okay, two down, one to go!

Onto that Sharp VCR. I think this one is going to be the challenge. I really think it needs new pulleys.

Tips, suggestions, etc?

Old 06-11-03, 05:32 PM
U
Soooooo embarrassing about that Proscan VCR1/2 button. It is in the setup menu. OY!

I can't believe RCA's cs dept didn't clue me into this. I've been remoteless for MONTHS!!!!

Onto the Sharp VCR!!!

Old 06-12-03, 01:30 PM
U
The Sharp was having problems loading the tape (partial load), so I suspected the belts and maybe the loader motor. I could purchase parts online for approx $15.

I cleaned everything again and retested with an old tape (btw I borrowed a copy of How to Keep Your VCR Alive and they have detailed instructions and info on how to create a dummy tape for testing purposes). I could not reproduce consistently the load problem. It does happen every few times where the tape does not properly load.

I think I will live with the problem until it becomes unbearable. (If it isn't broken....).

Thanks for the inspiration and nudge in the right direction. Hope someone else can find this info helpful and save some $.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: