Cable Repair

Old 03-17-03, 08:57 AM
fr9080
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Cable Repair

My dogs chewed through my TV cable and I would like to know what tools and how to repair the cable without having to run a 100' cable line. Can this be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-03, 09:38 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No problem!!

I assume your cable is an RG-6 or RG-59 type coax cable. For that you'll need a pair of F-connectors and a F-couplers for each line that you're fixing. Also need a length of new cable plus another set of F-connectors and coupler to splice back inline if you don't have enough slack to reconnect the ends.

Just cut out the damaged length of cable plus a bit, put new connectors on each end of the original cables and new piece of cable, and hook back together.

It might make sense to just replace one of the 2 'halves' of the entire length with a new cable... that'll save you a set of connectors and be somewhat cleaner. Your call...

You can get crimpless screw-on type connectors or the more robust and reliable crimped variety which requires a $10+ crimp tool. Otherwise, all you really need is a wire cutter/stripper.

If this is outside, you might want to get weatherproof version of the connectors.

Radio Shack and Home Depot sell this kind of stuff...

good luck!
aaron