Video problem when using Component video connection

Old 04-13-03, 02:27 PM
syrinxcs
Visiting Guest
Video problem when using Component video connection

I have my NC655P Sony DVD player hooked up to a 27 inch Panasonic tv with the component video cables. I have an intermittent problem with the video signal. At will, the signal will become all distorted. It looks like the picture becomes either black with red flashes/ streaks in it or with blue flashes/streaks. The audio is fine. Im trying to figure out if the DVD player is defective or if the TV is acting up. If I hook the DVD player through the regular output jack to the regular input on the TV everything is fine. It seems to be just a component video problem. All help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-13-03, 05:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hook the dvd player to a diff tv to determine if it is the dvd player.

fred

Old 04-13-03, 06:50 PM
syrinxcs
Visiting Guest
I thought about that, but I don't have access to another TV that is equipped with component video jacks.

Old 04-13-03, 07:24 PM
syrinxcs,

IMHO, I don't think you will notice any visual difference between the three (four) types of video connections: optical, component, or RCA jacks. Although I would avoid the fourth - rf cable connection.

fred

Old 04-13-03, 07:50 PM
syrinxcs
Visiting Guest
I have to strongly disagree with that statement. I hooked the DVD player up with a regular RCA cable and the difference in picture quality was astounding. With the component video cable the colors are much more vibrant and lifelike. I do appreciate the help on this problem I am having.

Old 04-13-03, 09:01 PM
syrinxcs,

You may be right with the way the component video processes the cable signal. I deal mostly with older C-band and small dish reception and I have not noticed a marked improvement. Probably because the sat video delivers more lines of resolution on the front end.
fred

Old 04-14-03, 09:44 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
I suspect the cables. The cables that come with the gear are usually junk. The cheapest fix is to just replace them. Make sure you use only top-quality cables designed for video (usually gold connectors) and that they are exactly the same length.

If any of the RCA plugs are fitting loosely in the jacks, bend one spade on each connector slightly toward the pin.

Old 04-14-03, 02:44 PM
syrinxcs
Visiting Guest
I have it hooked up with seperately bought cables. They are Acoustic Research cables, have gold connectors and are of equal length.

Old 04-17-03, 10:08 AM
gman1262
Visiting Guest
How old is this DVD player and TV? Where did you buy them? You may wanna see if the retailer who sold you the unit will let you bring it in and test it on another TV with component hookups. Same goes for the TV. Most reputable retailers will stand behind their products.

Old 04-17-03, 10:15 AM
gman1262
Visiting Guest
You may also wanna wiggle each input cable at it's connection point to see if you can duplicate the gripe..and possibly isolate. May be an internal problem at the TV or DVD jack.

Old 04-17-03, 02:16 PM
syrinxcs
Visiting Guest
I believe I have fixed the problem. It seems like one of the cable connections was a little loose. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: