vcr/dvd combination

Old 05-03-03, 12:47 PM
dbutler1946
Visiting Guest
vcr/dvd combination

I am thinking of purchasing a vcr/dvd combination unit but am wondering about the hookup possibilities. I need to run this device through my stereo which is an older model and has only one set of l/r speaker inputs. Will one set of audio cables handle both the vcr and dvd? Also, can I connect the coaxial cable to the vcr/dvd and then to the TV set in lieu of a video cable? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-03, 09:28 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
You can spliy the audio outputs fine with simple y splitters.
You can connect the RF coax dircet to the TV too, but if your TV has line in, use it. You can connect both if you want, using the line in to view DVDs/tapes/VCR tuner.

Old 05-04-03, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Before you buy the combo, think a second. When either the vcr or dvd part quits, what do you do then? VCRs are now considered throw-aways, cuz you can get a 4 head hi-fi for under $100.
The combos I've seen do have their hook-up limitations.
Buy two separate components.

fred

Old 05-05-03, 06:29 PM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
I have a Hi-fi VCR/DVD combo that I bought for $150 for my video editing. It's still a throw away item on this combo. The main reason that I bought it was to save shelf space.

The VCR/DVD combo that I have can only work as a DVD or VCR one at a time. The only time both working simulteneously is when I play DVD and record it on the tape. The machine is not smart enough to play both DVD and VCR independently.

Because of the way it was designed, it has all the basic hook ups as if it's a conventional VCR, but it can also play DVD and have additional hook up for S-video and fiber optic which does not work with VCR (analog). If you use S-video for DVD, you might want to have y-splitter for audio which will feed into different DVD and VCR inputs of your home theater amplify. If your amplify is an older model, not hooking s-video or fiber optic still work fine for DVD through the 3 RCA jacks.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Old 05-05-03, 07:15 PM
dbutler1946
Visiting Guest
Thank you

I think I have a fairly good idea of what is possible for my particular situation. Thank you for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.