Stereo will only play loud

Old 05-11-03, 11:21 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stereo will only play loud

I have a Kenwood KR-A4040 receiver and it will only play when the volume is turned up. I have hooked up another pair of good speakers and the problem persists. If I try to play it low I get mostly static. With receivers prices today I'm going to throw it away if I can't get it working again but I'd like to at least give it a try. Anyone have an idea? Thanks

Old 05-12-03, 09:42 AM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
This is a common problem for older stereo where the carbon contacts in the volume control worn out after being used for sometime. Basically the contact get used up in the volume area where you used the most, low to decent volume. So when you turned it louder, it got pass the worn out area and so it works again, but too loud!

Replace your volume control variable resistor and the problem should go away. You can also try to clean the volume contacts by spraying contact cleaner into the volume control. It might help.

Old 05-13-03, 03:25 AM
E
Teratum, thanks for the quick reply, I opened up the case and it was quite dirty, I think I havent moved it in ten years. I washed the case and blew out the insides with compressed air. Now if you could give me a little more detail on what to do I would appreciate it. This is my first foray into stereos. There's a small L shaped circut board attached to the volume control knob is that what should be replaced? And if so, can you recommend a source to purchase the part? I will go to Radio Shack later and get some contact cleaner. Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-13-03, 02:30 PM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
It's good that you blow clean it. Now you locate a volume control resistor ("Pot") by tracing the volume control knob into inside of the stereo. The "Pot" that you need to clean or replace is a round shape about 1/4 to 3/8 inch high, 2 pcs stacked together. They share a common shaft that connected to the volume control knob. These 2 round things should be on the L-shape board. Notice around the 3 pins at one side of each pot, there should be an opening that you can spray the contact cleaner into the inside. The 3 pins probably soldered to the L-shape board. If yo decide to replace the pot, you don't change the whole board, you just change the Pots.

Old 05-14-03, 04:23 AM
RickJ6956
Visiting Guest
... Unless that particular receiver's Potentiometers are controlling VCAs. Then I'd look for cold solder joints at the speaker terminals, specifically on the grounds.

Old 05-14-03, 01:54 PM
E
Thanks guys, I used contact spray on the volume control and like the spray said twist the knob to work it in. I did so and it seems to be working fine now. I'm really glad as you guys are really speaking Greek as far as I'm concerned. This was the first time I've ever opened up a receiver and it's all a jumble. Thanks again for all the advice.

Old 05-14-03, 09:11 PM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
Nothing feels like helping someone and he succeeds.

Old 05-20-03, 03:16 PM
E
Last week I "fixed my stereo" well anyway I sprayed the contacts on the volume control knob. Now after a few days it's cutting in and out on low volume. Is there anyone out there who can explain what I need to do in very simple English. I don't understand electronic terms and I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I need someone, if their willing, to hold my hand. Thanks again.

Old 05-20-03, 04:56 PM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
If you read my earlier responses, the answer was out there.I suggested changing the volume control (Pot). Spraying the cleaner helps if the volume control just dirty. But in your case, it was worn out or used up.

In simple English, you replace the round thing that you sparyed the cleaner into, the problem will go away permanently. You should be able to find replacement parts from www.digikeys.com

Old 05-20-03, 05:11 PM
E
Teratum, thank you for the plain simple answer, I appreciate it. Is there another source for the part (it won't come up) or what type of shop am I looking for?

Old 05-21-03, 11:31 AM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I gave you wrong address. www.digikey.com has no "s" after the word "digikey" You should be able to find the part with good price there.

The other option is to purchase part form your kenwood service center in your area. You should be able to locate one from yellow pages.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: