Can I fix my TV myself?

Old 07-22-03, 01:10 PM
vazcan
Visiting Guest
Question Can I fix my TV myself?

Or can someone help me figure out what's wrong with it so that when I get it fixed I won't get ripped off?

I was watching TV the other day and all of a sudden the color dimmed and the screen turned to black. It comes and goes I figure it should be easy to repair I don't want to be charged too much if it's simple to fix. My set is about ten years old it's a Toshiba about 30 inches. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-03, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Just a layman's opinions:

1. TV repair is not d-i-y; it's all solid state electronics. Can't remove suspected faulty vacuum tubes and carry them down to the local radio & tv repair for testing like you could 40 years ago.

2. Some of the parts inside the case can KILL you if you don't know what you're doing.

3. Chances of getting a 10 year old TV repaired economically (less than a replacement would be) are likely fairly low.

Don't shoot the messenger.

My $.02 worth.

Old 07-23-03, 10:56 AM
vazcan
Visiting Guest
Thanks tow_guy for your help..

I think that I'll just have to buy a new set. Thanks again.

Old 07-23-03, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drop by our site and email me. In many cases you CAN fixyourowntv !

Dakota

http://www.fixyourowntv.com

Old 07-24-03, 03:23 AM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
Can I fix my TV myself?
Only if you have some knowledge of what not to touch ...and when not to touch it. Without that, tow_guy is right. It is best not to try.

There are high voltages present in TV's that hurt when you touch them. Some can drill small holes in an unwary finger. Also, some are high enough to be lethal but in my 33 years as an engineer I have never heard of a case of deaths happening. That's not to say it couldn't though.

The trouble is that, in a DIY forum like this one, people are asking for advice on how to mend their own faults. In view of the pitfalls there can be in doing so, is it the case that any contributors who might be able to offer help shouldn't do so?

Is it OK to assume that anyone asking questions here knows enough to steer clear of danger and just answer them?

Advice appreciated.

Old 07-24-03, 03:58 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Threesheds; You ask a good question and perhaps, Sharp Advice or one of the others who are "in charge" might stop-by and give you a better answer. It does seem to me, if you have a TV Repair forum that one could expect some TV repair questions to be answered...

There are several forums on this board which could be lethal, if things weren't done correctly; What I would advise would be to attempt to gain a measure of the person's ability from their initial post or the manner in which they respond to a follow-up, or by clicking the little search button under their post, so you can see what knowledge they may possess in other areas. Don't try to steer someone too far beyond their depth and can a few cautions with your notepad, so that you can easily paste-in the safety messages, whenever they are appropriate.

Right now, there is not a moderator for this forum, so the only ones who can officially object to any response are the three Super-Mods. Of course, if the community were to rebel or if someone were named to the moderator position, the reality will change and you would have to adjust. But, I suggest you try and tailor your responses to the specific poster, provide all cautionary notes and give any response with which you feel comfortable.

Good Luck;
R

Old 07-25-03, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I feel people have an inordinate fear of electricity. It probably has to do with the fact you can't see it. But the same people will stick a knife inside the toaster, which is far more dangerious. I have never heard of anyone who has electrocuted them selves working on a TV. Can you say that about other electric devices around the house? With that being said I'll be the first to admidt that I do get a shock every now and then. The biggest reason is that I have to work on sooo many sets with the power on. And the first reaction is to jerk. Sometimes when I jerk, I hit my hand or arm on something else. Scrapes and bruises are the result. With reasonable awareness and common sense the danger is very low. Should we not tell someone how to fix a roof problem since they would have to climb a dangerious ladder? Or how about that noisey fan belt on the car. I remember the warning label on a new fan belt "Stop engine before replacing". So use common sense and know your comfort level. If you are not comfortable, call the shop!

Dakota