To repair or not repair that is the question!

Old 07-23-03, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To repair or not repair that is the question!

I have a Sony 32" XBR45 built in 1995. I think from all I have read that I have the infamous "solder" problem repairable for ~$200-250. I don't know how to gage if an 8 YO TV is reasonably expected to last say 3-5 more years or forget about it and just buy a new TV.

This has been a great TV with a great picture and it should for what they cost. However when I was growing up, maybe it just seemed this way, a quality appliance would routinely last 12-15 years with minimal upkeep or minor repairs. Have quality "appliances" become less durable or I am just remembering from a kids perspective? Thanks for your input!
Realizing we are speaking generalities here. Would you repair this TV?

Last edited by CPO70; 07-24-03 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-03, 07:28 AM
What are the symptoms of your problem. If it is just bad connections then yes it's worth the expense.

Dakota

http://www.fixyourowntv.com

Old 07-24-03, 10:08 AM
Hi Dakota,
TV will intermittently lose picture(scrambled mess) and audio(loud cracking and popping). Very sporadic. Sometimes when I first turn it on and others after it has been on a while. Usually will come back to a good picture for 10-15 minutes then scramble again but it all is very random. At first only seemed to effect cable reception but noticed yesterday while trying to watch a DVD that the bottom third of the screen is somewht jumbled(maybe a dirty DVD?). Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-24-03, 11:38 AM
Without reasearching, it sounds like a tuner.

Dakota

http://www.fixyourowntv.com

Old 07-24-03, 05:53 PM
Teratum
Visiting Guest
You can check whether or not the tuner is a problem by running tv or vcr signal from a known good VCR into the 3 RCA inputs (red, while, and yellow) plugs of the TV, not through the black coax cable. If the picture still scramble, the problem is not from your tuner, but rather from your sync circuit in your TV. Weak sync or no sync signal will make the picture scrambled.

The question of fixing or not. If this is the first time your TV goes bad, fixing it correctly can restore the TV back and it will last many more years. In contrary, if the TV is a lemmon, then it's not worth fixing it.

Fixing also preserve land fill space and make our earth a little greener. :- )