Toshiba TV with black lines

Old 08-06-03, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Toshiba TV with black lines

My Toshiba TV is just under 2 yrs old. When you first turn it on, everything is beautiful. In about 2 mins, however, small horizontal black lines start to appear. They get worse as time progresses. If you touch the converter at all (volume, channel, menu, etc.) the lines disappear for a minute or two -- only to reappear and continue the cycle.

Does it have something to do with my universal remote, I wonder? I noticed when I first started using the universal that the section on the screen that showed the display turned into a black stripe when the display was in use. It was never a problem before though, as it just disappeared when the display disappeared.

I don't use the universal remote anymore, so I'd have no problem getting rid of it -- but how do I un-program it and make my TV forget about it?

Or, should I just take my TV somewhere to get fixed?

Help!

Old 09-17-03, 05:52 PM
wallyb
Visiting Guest
hi, I was just reading your post and wanted to tell you I had the same problem. when I took it to get fixed, he told me everything worked fine. I haven't had the problem since either! He told me to unplug the tv for a couple hours and it will reset itself. So it's worth a try. Also, don't put a vcr or dvd on top of the tv??

Hope this helps,

Matt

Old 09-17-03, 08:18 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Smile Snivets

You have (what we call) a snivet. You have a high voltage arc
internally in the set and the arc radiates to your antenna
connection. It presents itself as a black, horizontal lines.

The high voltage arc can be a bad connection of the high voltage
lead to the picture tube. It may be as as simple as removing the
back on the TV and resetting the HV lead to the picture tube.

Smokey

Old 09-19-03, 08:40 AM
Smokey
Ok I'll bite
All the techs here had a good belly laugh about your snivet
remark
You might want to follow up and tell the folks what they might expect when they try "resetting the HV lead to the picture tube"

Old 09-19-03, 05:50 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up LMAO!

Well, you youngsters haven't been in the industry as long as I have, I guess.

When a HV connection is arcing internally in the set, it radiates
an electromagnetic field that is counterproductive to the incoming
signal.
The radiated signal is called a "snivet". It manifests itself on the
screen as jagged, horizontal black lines.

While your techs are having their belly laugh, remember I have
been in the business for fifty years.

If the HV lead to the picture tube has not been set correctly, the
lead will generate an arc. This arc radiates to the outside world
and is picked up by the antenna lead. The result is the picture
that bijoux encountered.

Now, you youngsters go back to the Coke machine and let the
old timers take care of business. LOL!

Smokey

Old 09-19-03, 09:39 PM
Smokey
I have the utmost respect for the older generation as they have a lot to contribute to the forums from expierence.
My apologies I mixed up snivet with Sniglet

Here is a list of some Sniglets

Anaception (an a sep' shun) - n. The body's ability to actually affect television reception by moving about the room.

Bargue (bar' gyoo) - v. To whine, fuss, and complain a great deal while at the same time trying to get someone to see your point of view. Ex: The young child bargued with his father until his father gave in and let him stay up past his bedtime

Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

Brattled (brat' uld) - adj. The unsettling feeling, at a stoplight, that the busload of kids that just pulled up beside you is making fun of you.

Carperpetuation (kar' pur pet u a shun) - n. The act, when vacuuming, of running over a string at least a dozen times, reaching over and picking it up, examining it, then putting it back down to give the vacuum one more chance.

Electocution (elek to' cue shun) v- choosing to touch
the HV lead on a TV without properly grounding it.

Sarchasm (sar' chas um) -n. The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

zigzag

Last edited by zigzag; 09-19-03 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 08:33 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Cool LOL!

LOL! Well, I started my television repairs back in the 60's when
Color became an entity.

The problem is that Television sets are "throw-aways" in this
day and age. The old "terminology" is being lost.

You know, I could call the shop from the field and say, "I have
set with snivets!" The techs all responded and knew exactly
what I was talking about.

Trust me, folks! I am not making these things up!

Smokey

Old 09-20-03, 11:16 PM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
I'm 1960's starter too. This link will say it all.

I hadn't heard of a 'snivet' but seeing as how there was an explanation of what it was, I just put it down to local expression.

We used a few local engineering expressions too. We all knew what they meant but those outside of our circle would look at us a bit strange if we used them. They'd cause a question mark or two if I used them here!

Some TV's are throw-away items these days but widescreen TVs (16:9 aspect ratio) are gaining ground well now and these are still costly. Also there's the LCD and plasma screens that cost a load. There's still a market for repairing those (for a while anyway).

Old 09-22-03, 04:50 AM
D
If it were a high voltage arc, black lines would be a secondary complaint. Snapping or a loud hiss would be the big complaint. I have been in the business for over 28 years and have never heard about "snivets". By the way, Smokey do you still work in the industry?

Dakota

http://www.fixyourowntv.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: