Buying a new TV ANtenna. Need advice

Old 12-17-03, 01:23 PM
tmansard
Visiting Guest
Buying a new TV ANtenna. Need advice

Happy Wednesday everyone,

I have a vacation place that is about 100 miles from the nearest town with a TV station.

I want to install a TV antenna and was wondering as to what type of antenna has served people well.

Recently, I was in a radio shack and looked at a round TV antenna that kinda looked like one you would find on a boat.
Kinda, sorta, like a boat radar unit.

It's round, about 18 inches across and is about 2 inches thick.

The information that I could get from the person at the store was that it had a signal booster built right in.

I was wondering if anyone has installed this type of antenna or are using this type of antenna.
And of course what experience have you had with it.

If no one is using this type of TV antenna, what type of antenna and what additional equipment would be suggested.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-03, 02:53 PM
jmet
Visiting Guest
My in laws got one and being about 20-30 miles from a dozen t.v stations the reception sucked.

A small standard antenna would be better imo.

I use a huge antanna that has over 100 mile radius, while at radio shack or Wal-Mart read the boxes as they will tell you how many a mile radius it will do.

Old 12-18-03, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You really need a large array outdoor antenna. Look for Winegard or Channel Master. You'll probably need a pre-amp as well. I'd also think about a rotator, as there might be more stations out there than you are aware of. There is a site called antennaweb that might be of some help.

Old 12-22-03, 11:51 AM
100 miles is a long way but not impossible. I small antenna would definately not work though. I agree with bruiser. antennaweb.org
The bigger the antenna the better, or if you dont want a HUGE antenna you might consider satellite.

Old 01-04-04, 12:20 PM
Note that the higher gain/performance antennas that you'd need will tend to be highly directional. Thus, as bruiser mentions, a rotor might be needed as well.

Don't expect antenna preamps to work miracles. Garbage signal-in = garbage signal out. If the signal is simply too weak or noisy, you're basically out of luck.

Don't be fooled by cool-looking gimmick antennas seen on TV commercials which are typically nothing but a pair of rabbit ears dressed up in plastic

Worst case, satellite dish is your other alternative.