Vcr Dvd

Old 12-17-03, 06:30 PM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Vcr Dvd

As I consider buying a new TV, I am reminded that my VCR is 15 years old, too. It still works but it is a two-head, non-stereo and if I replace the TV I might as well do this at the same time.

Any suggestions on what to buy?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-03, 01:24 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are thinking about buying a dvd/vcr combo, keep in mind you cannot record a dvd to a vcr tape. If you just want to replace a vcr, I'd go with a JVC s-vhs, as s-vhs has a much better picture, and JVC will play back most tapes recorded on other machines. S-VHS also has s video in and out in case you want to convert your vhs tapes to dvd or video cd. For a dvd player, I'd look into some home theater forums and see what the videophiles are using.

Old 12-21-03, 01:10 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if you have the funds svhs is great, and i'd second the jvc recommendation.

if you're on a budget and just want a 4 head stereo vcr, they are so cheap now that i would just recommend getting a name brand (Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Toshiba, etc) and just picking one out that has a remote that is comfortable and a front face that looks nice to you. their performance should all be about the same.

i would also really look at what you use your vcr for, and consider getting a dvd player. a functional unit can be had these days for the same price as your average vcr. movie rental fees are comperable, and if you buy movies, in some cases the dvd versions are cheaper than the vhs. in both sound quality and picture quality, dvds are substnatially better than vhs.

currently the best dvd players for under $100 are the JVC XBN50s for about $99.

also, if you get a tv with the intention of connecting a dvd player, be sure the tv has Component Video inputs (not composite). these are typically colored red, blue and green.