preventitive maintenance

Old 12-29-03, 03:04 PM
CrAzYhOrSe
Visiting Guest
preventitive maintenance

Is there any kind of preventitive/corrective maintenance that the owner can perform on a dvd player ? Such as cleaning and minor adjusting. And if so, how is this done ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-03, 04:52 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a DVD player cleaning disk that can be used to clean the lens. Otherwise, keeping the unit free from dust and extraneous heat will help. For the most part, there is nothing inside to adjust that one probably cannot make worse by trying.

Old 12-31-03, 10:23 AM
CrAzYhOrSe
Visiting Guest
Is this cleaning disk a dry or moist type cleaner ? I remember recorder/players that use a tape head, there were both dry and chemical cleaners for those. I know dvd/cd players dont use heads, but wondered if there was more than one method for cleaning whatever it is that reads the disc.

Old 12-31-03, 05:51 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cleaning disk for a CD is equipped with small brushes to clean the lens. No liquids involved.

Old 01-04-04, 05:27 PM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
<---DON'T FIX IT IF IT ISN'T BROKE--->
Yes there are ways to clean and adjust DVD players, aswell as CD players. From my expierince you can treat a dvd player the same way as you can a regular CD player, or CD-ROM when cleaning them. One thing to seriously think about is to not mess with it if it is working fine. First thing to try if the unit is not working properly is cleaning it. Now you may try that DVD cleaner kit that is a dry cleaner, but all that will do is dust the lense. Any residues such as cigarette smoke, bacon smoke in the air or just normal indoor air polution, the DVD lense cleaner CD majiggy will not cut it. How i clean a lense (and have found very effective) is:
Tools and equip needed - Screw driver (phillips or torx whichever the said DVD requires) 1 new Q-tip, and rubbing alchohol (alcohol provides a very mild cleanser for the lense, anddries very quickly and with no residue to speak of, which is it's advantage) Next step, obviously remove all the screws, and take the top cover of the DVD player off, careful not to force anything, take your time. Find the lense, and take that Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on it (don't soak it, just get it damp). Gently take the Q-tip and rub the lense, DON'T PRESS HARD. It doesn't take much to clean, just rub it, and look at it, you can ussually tell if it is clean, if it is shiny and dust free.
Give that a try. If it is still acting up there are adjustments you can try, but they are a more advance level of repair if you want to risk it with little expierience. I would be eager to see if any of this advice helped.

Old 01-06-04, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This question made me think about how things have changed in the last few decades. Modern equipment is changing so fast and at the same time, so inexpensive, that preventative mainenance, while always laudable, has become less neccesary. The DVD player will probably last 2 years w/o anyone ever doing any PM to it at all. What will new DVD players be like in 2 years? Cheaper, smaller, faster, w/ more features, and some of the new features may even be worthwhile. That's assuming that DVD isn't surplanted by yet another form of media (unlikely, but possible) or more likely surplanted by higher density disks that the old boxes won't read. Some sectors of electronic devices are getting almost 'disposable'.

While there's certainly no harm in cleaning the lens, be aware that in a few short years you may be back at Circuit City looking over the newer sleeker models.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

-Steve G

Old 01-06-04, 06:59 PM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
I like your point Steve. One thing i like is the satisfaction of making something work, or work better. But good point.