Cable TV and Internet

Old 01-17-04, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cable TV and Internet

In my home office I have a cable internet connection. I would like to have a TV connection in the same area. Is their a splitter I can connect to the internet connection to add a TV or do I have to run another cable from the outside cable box?

Old 01-17-04, 01:38 PM
Just split the cable ahead of the modem....

Old 01-17-04, 01:49 PM
I think most people would advise to have a 'homerun' connection for the internet connection. But, even this has to be split somewhere. If possible, is there a tv cable line to an adjacent or nearby room that you can insert a splitter to to run cable tv to your new location.
If not, yes you can split it in the same general area for tv cable reception. Use RG6 cable and preferably a crimp on f-connector.

fred

Old 01-18-04, 07:09 AM
D
Where my cable comes in the house, it is split. Then one wire goes to the study (internet connection). The other output of the splitter which feeds the rest of the cable in the house has a cylindrical apparatus attached to it and then the cable attaches to this cylindrical thing. What is this? Is it some kind of filter? Is it necessary to have?
We have been having cable problems lately and no one can figure out what is going on.

Old 01-18-04, 07:22 AM
Dave4242,

Your cyledrical thingy sounds like an amplifier, but amps are usually square with a power cord.
Is it simply a barrel connection with two f-connectors attd??

As info, the weakest part of cable is splitters, connectors- especially if they are out in the elements.

fred

Old 01-18-04, 08:45 AM
My guess

Dave

My guess is that what you have is actually a filter on the line. The round torpedo filters used to be used by may cable system. In essence your cable modem uses bandwith that isn't used by the rest of the TV system. Therefore, there is no need to send that signal and possible interferance down the line to your TV's.

If you really need to know, call your cable company and ask. While you are it you can complain about the service that you are paying for and recieving. It could be that there is an illegal tap into the system that they are unaware of and that is causing loss to your signal.

Old 01-18-04, 09:25 AM
D
It is cylindrical with 2 f connectors, so it must be a filter.
I disconnected it, and the static stopped when just the family room and master bedroom were attached to a single 2-way splitter.
When I attach all of the outlets to the original splitter (6 way, as all the outlets are "home runs"), the signal intermittently cuts in and out, so I guess I need the amplifier. (there is an ac powered amplifier that we've had because the digital signal drops out).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: