Tv Antennas

Old 03-24-04, 06:48 PM
paul.s
Visiting Guest
Question Tv Antennas

My wife does not want an antenna mounted outside as she sees them as "Eye-Sores", rusting and all. This may sound like a stupid question but here goes anyway....Can I still get good reception mounting a large rotary antenna in my attic? Or am I going to lose to much signal to make it worthwhile over some good indoor antenna?

Old 03-24-04, 10:13 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
an aerial outside is obviously the best choice, but an attic-mounted antenna would work also as long as the attic isn't covered with foil or anything metallic. I mounted a 10ft TV antenna in my former house's attic since community rules disallowed any externally mounted antennas. It seems to have worked ok. Unfortunately my attic in my current house isn't so spacious, so I'm using my dad's old 4ft TV antenna for the time being.

It's definitely better than a pair of rabbit ears...

Old 03-29-04, 01:19 PM
B
Depends on the size of the attic, and where the stations are. Look for antennaweb.org and plug in your location and see what the results are.

Old 03-30-04, 11:04 PM
A
very interesting and useful site!!

does anyone know what the general rule of thumb is for spacing multiple antennas? Suppose I have 2 different clusters of transmitters I want to aim a pair of highly directional antennas. How far apart should they be mounted vertically if on the same mast or apart from each other horizontally if on separate masts such that they do not interfere with each other?

Old 03-31-04, 10:23 AM
A
ok, nevermind... found it at the same site..

the rule is 1/2 wavelength of the lowest frequency in the vertical direction and 1 wavelength in the horizontal plane. So it works out to be about 9 and 18ft, respectively

Old 03-31-04, 01:22 PM
B
Are you going to stack 4 antennas?

Old 05-21-04, 08:46 AM
banshee
Visiting Guest
I saw this site on TEchTV. Not sure if this site would be usefull to you or not but they do have a lot of usefull information.

http://www.freeantennas.com/

Old 05-21-04, 01:27 PM
Pauls,

Try it in the attic. If it doesn't work to you satisfaction, then move it to the roof or chimney. Everytime you get close to the driveway coming home simply tell your wife how beautiful her flowers are. She'll never notice the antenna.

fred

PS: aluminum doesn't rust!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: