analog only, no digital signal

Old 05-03-04, 05:42 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
analog only, no digital signal

I am having problems receiving digital cable chanels on my television. The analog chanels come in fine, and I get the digital chanel 'data' (chanel info, schedule, etc) without a problem. However, when I try tuning in the digital chanels, all I get is a blank screen. Could this be an interior cabling issue, or could it be that I am not geting a proper signal at my house. The cable company wants to charge to send a service tech out to check my signal. I have cable internet, and that has never had any problems.

Old 05-03-04, 06:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you have a digital cable box, usually it is required?
Why not take it to the cable co and have them check it out first.

fred

Old 05-04-04, 10:29 PM
Cableguy13
Visiting Guest
You are still revieving the guide data because that is transmitted on a different frequency than the digital packets. The best way to tell if the problem is in you house wiring is to connect you digital cable box as close as you can to you main input line. Bypassing all of you splitters and other wiring. Then connect the box directly to your tv and see if you get a picture on your digital channels. If you still have no pics then you need to have a cableguy come out to your house. It is likeley you have poor signal strength or a bad box. If you do get a picture then you need to troubleshoot the wireing in your house. The cable company will usually charge you to do this.

Cableguy

Old 05-05-04, 02:25 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
Cableguy,
I wired the house for cable myself so I should be able to take care of it, if it is my wiring. Is there anything behind the claims made by the manufacturers of 'premium' wiring? Ie, is there such a thing as 'low loss foam dialectric', and if so, does it actually do anything?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-05-04, 12:19 PM
Cableguy13
Visiting Guest
Most cable is manufactured with a foam dialectric. As long as you have at least dual sheild rg6 then you should be fine. You can buy low loss dialectric cable but I don't think it is worth the money. the difference in loss is not that much better. You would have to run a considerable length of cable to even read a differnce in dbmv. Any dual shield or better rg6 is fine for any home wiring. With my company we just started using tri shield last year and there are no plans in the works for moving to anything better. However it can't hurt if you have the money to use a better coax but in my situation standard tri shield will do. More important than the actual cable is the fittings you use. The standard home dept screw on type can cause lots of problems. If you do have to use them make sure you do it right. 90 pecent of the time I have to fix a do it yourself job for someone the problem is the fittings. Second to that would be low quality splitters. Very rarely is it the actual cable.

Cableguy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: