Installing outdoor speakers?

Old 05-13-04, 08:58 AM
paradis2
Visiting Guest
Installing outdoor speakers?

I've done many speaker installations, but never outside, so I was hoping I could get a little advice. I saw somewhere that the speakers should not be attached over vinyl siding? Do I need to remove a section where the speakers will be mounted? Any other tips and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-18-04, 01:16 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed outdoor speakers (Polk Audio Atrium45s ) about 2 years ago. I ran 14G speaker wire from behind the stereo, up through the wall into the attic. Mounted the speakers directly onto the aluminum siding and brought the wire out through the eave through these feed through bushings from Radio Shack. Connected them to the "Speaker B" terminals on my receiver.

Worked very well.

Old 05-18-04, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I think the reason you shouldn't install on vinyl is because the vinyl isn't strong enough and if you screw right through to the wall sheathing you will crush the vinyl.
How about mounting thenm to the underside of the eve, facing downward or on a post that runs close to the house.

Old 06-07-04, 09:37 PM
J
Most decent outdoor speakers come with some sort of mounting brackets in the box.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with mounting speaker right over the vinyl siding, provided that you meet 2 criteria:
1- The exterior of your house is plywood and not that MDF stuff that you find in some houses
2- The screws that you use are galvanized, and long enough to go through the vinyl and penetrate the frame of the house so they will hold tight.

This way, you can mount the speakers using the plastic mounts, and then leave the mounts screwed into the house all the time, and pop off the speakers in the winter time and bring them inside. This will add YEARS to the life of your all weather speakers.....

Start with 3" galvanized decking screws(HD sellls them) and screw through the vinyl siding, be careful not to enter your house from the outside with the screw...

Old 06-26-04, 11:02 AM
S
You should look around at vinyl siding stores, distributors, or maybe home depot. When the siding it put up normally the siding is put up around the thicker harder plastic 1" standoff boxes with a hole the back for wiring. They are used for lighting and sometimes water outlets. Now if the siding if already on and you want to add something, I think they make a plate like I dscribe BUT the backside is shaped like the siding profile. So it fits the siding and would look real nice without crushing the siding. Then you could mount the speaker to that box. Worth looking into.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: