DVD to VHS?

Old 05-17-04, 09:36 PM
kkm
Visiting Guest
DVD to VHS?

I am trying to videotape a DVD and am not having much luck as yet. I was told this was not as simple as it sounds and it couldn't be done with your usual home equipment. Is this true? (sounds backwords, but need VHS copies for some classes I teach) thanks.

Old 05-28-04, 06:37 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You didn't give any info as to what the problem is, but it sounds like you may need an RF modulator to run between the DVD player and the VCR. An RF modulator is a simple little device that sort of "converts" the video signal of the DVD so that the VCR can properly recognize it (that's the layman's explanation). You can get these at most home electronics stores such as Radio Shack, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. Shop around. I've seen them sell from anywhere between $15 to $35.

Old 05-28-04, 08:56 PM
kkm
Visiting Guest
you are a genius, thanks very much. Sounds like exactly what I need, I'll go out and get one. Thanks again!

Old 05-29-04, 06:19 PM
S
You only need that if your VCR doesn't have RCA inputs. They would be red/white jacks on the back of the VCR labeled "Input".

Old 05-29-04, 08:17 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually, to do it right, you should have red, white and yellow jacks on the back of the VCR (Red = Audio Right, White = Audio Left, Yellow = Video.)

If you have a fairly recent VCR (anything made within the past 10 years should do) you should have RCA inputs on it. Newer ones will even have them on the front.

Pretty much any DVD player is going to have RCA out.

You will probably need to switch the VCR to video input to record from the RCA inputs.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-04, 06:47 PM
T
RCA jacks or not, more than likely you'll need an RF modulator. I quote Robert Silva, who recently wrote an article about this subject:

"The reason that a DVD player cannot be connected to a TV in this fashion is due to the fact that DVDs are encoded with anti-copy technology that interferes with the VCR's circuitry. That is why you cannot make a copy of a DVD onto a VCR tape successfully. However, this also prevents you from using the VCR as a "conduit" to pass a DVD signal through to the TV."

I've tried to connect a DVD directly to a VCR to copy a disc, and the picture comes out all screwed up without the modulator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: