HELP...how do I connect

Old 05-24-04, 08:33 PM
BLAKE15
Visiting Guest
Question HELP...how do I connect

Let's just be frank, I am an idiot when it comes to figuring this out. I have a t.v., dvd, cable t.v. [nop box just cable line], receiver and surround sound. I thought I had it all connected, however I get sound from DVD, no picture..so I have reverted back to watching t.v. through my t.v. speakers nothing else is connected....please tell me how to hook this d^%m thing up.

Old 05-24-04, 08:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The simplest way to get video form the dvd player to your tv is to run a cable fomr the dvds yellow "Video Out" jack to the tv's yellow "Video In" jack. If there are multiple video ins on the tv, use Video 1. Then turn on the tv and dvd player, and set the tv to Video 1.

Do that to start, and we can build from there if youd like.

Old 05-24-04, 08:59 PM
BLAKE15
Visiting Guest
Stereoguy-o.k., that sounds easy enough...now what about the other bazillion componets??? Thanks for answering so quickly, I appreciate it.

Old 05-24-04, 09:22 PM
S
Start there for the video, and then we can go one component at a time. I'll be here all night.

Old 05-24-04, 09:55 PM
BLAKE15
Visiting Guest
o.k., I will go connect right now-then will post to get next step..

Old 05-24-04, 10:00 PM
S
Let me know what you want to connect next

Old 05-24-04, 10:03 PM
BLAKE15
Visiting Guest
Have DVD pic on Video 1-no sound-connected red & white from dvd to t.v.

Old 05-24-04, 10:03 PM
BLAKE15
Visiting Guest
Well to get my surround, don't I need to connect everything thru the receiver?

Old 05-24-04, 10:08 PM
BLAKE15
Visiting Guest
o.k. got sound- I had placed in wrong area....but it is from t.v., how do I get it to surround. Oh BTW on my DVD I have the optical

Old 05-24-04, 10:15 PM
S
Take the optical out from the dvd player, and plug in into the "DVD" optical in on the receiver. Unplug any red/white cables going to the dvd player, you only need one audio connection.

Now to actually get the audio to come out, set the receiver input to "DVD", and put a dvd in the player and play it. Let me know if that works, there may be more steps to get the surround sound to work.

What dvd player and receiver do you have? Include model numbers please.

Old 05-24-04, 10:17 PM
BLAKE15
Visiting Guest
Do you have the wiring that can tell me:

hook up t.v. / d.v.d / surround / receiver [which my playstation runs through my receiver in front ] and my cable t.v. [remember just the line no box] optic cable used in dvd [well not currently but there is an optic cable back there that was used, just don't remeber config I had used prior to move

Old 05-24-04, 10:27 PM
BLAKE15
Visiting Guest
I have the pic but no sound now

running a sony t.v., pioneer receiver & 100 disc cd changer, panasonic d,v,d player & pioneer surround

Old 05-24-04, 10:30 PM
S
dvd optical -> recevier dvd optical
dvd video yellow cable -> receiver dvd in
catv audio red/white cable -> receiver tv in
catv video yellow cable -> receiver tv in
recevier "monitor out/video out" yellow cable -> tv Video 1 in
surround speakers -> receiver

Old 05-24-04, 10:32 PM
S
You may have to specify the correct sound mode on the receiver, and possibly tell the dvd player to use the optical out. If i had model numbers I could possibly be more help in figuring that out.

If the optical cable goes from the dvd out to the receiver dvd in, the cableing is done to get sound out of the dvd player.

Old 05-24-04, 11:42 PM
BLAKE15
Visiting Guest
Thanks Stereoguy. I will try that tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for all of your help and patience..just a girl with a 100 questions trying to get this d%^n thing connected

Old 05-25-04, 05:41 AM
B
model numbers would help a lot

Blake,

The model numbers will really help stereoguy help you. That way he can be specific about the names.

BTW - do you get any sound out of the receiver - eg) does the radio work? sound from the cable TV?

Was this setup working at one time? If yes, what changed?
If no - you probably need to tell the DVD player to use the optical out. You probably also need to tell the receiver to use the optical in for the DVD player.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: