in-ceiling speakers & amplifier

Old 05-27-04, 10:56 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in-ceiling speakers & amplifier

I am planning to finish my basement and will be installing 4-6 speakers in-ceiling. Would appreciate your response on the following queries:

1. Can I install in-ceiling speakers in drop ceiling or I need to pur sheet rock in ceiling?
2. How to control sound from ceiling to first floor of the house? Any enclosures which can be put at the back of the speakers?
3. Amplifier which will help me to drive these speakers by taking an input from my CD player.

Thanks

Old 06-07-04, 09:42 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeet49
I am planning to finish my basement and will be installing 4-6 speakers in-ceiling. Would appreciate your response on the following queries:

1. Can I install in-ceiling speakers in drop ceiling or I need to pur sheet rock in ceiling?
2. How to control sound from ceiling to first floor of the house? Any enclosures which can be put at the back of the speakers?
3. Amplifier which will help me to drive these speakers by taking an input from my CD player.

Thanks
Answers to your questions:
1-- Yes you can install them in drop ceilings as long as the tiles that you are using are on the thick side, and can support the weight of the speaker. It is the same concept as mounting recessed lighting through a drop ceiling, which is done all the time. You will probably want a rotary tool like a dremel to help make the cuts for you.
2- Not quite sure what you are asking...do you mean that your receiver is on the first floor and you want to adjust the volume of the basement speakers from upstairs, or is it the other way around....please be more specific...
3- Any stereo receiver willl drive in celing/wall speakers. You need to be specific on speaker wattage, and exact volume preference for more info....

Old 06-25-04, 04:02 PM
irsean
Visiting Guest
Regarding the third question. There are several ways to do it. Depending on what you are doing. If you are just setting up for music, you can use a six speaker connection module (OnQ has one 364454-01). If you want individual control of each pair of speakers you need impedance matching volume controls for each pair. There are also a few other systems. OnQ has their A-Bus and then there are several other manufacturers. I like Russound. I have the 4-source, 6-zone system. This gives me independant control of each set of speakers and the ability to chose from 4 sources (CD, MP3, Tuner, DVD, etc). Investigate the different systems. I like to go to DIY Automation. They have a great information and will give online lessons.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: