magnavox 27" issues

Old 05-27-04, 04:16 PM
Stoppa1010
Visiting Guest
magnavox 27" issues

I have acquired a 27" Magnavox TV that is about 3-4 years old. A family member gave it to me because they didn't want to go to the trouble of getting it repaired.

Basically when I try to turn it on, the screen fills with snow and a few thin, solid horizontal white lines about an inch or two apart. This displays for maybe 5 seconds and then the set powers itself off. I've tried unplugging, and trying again...everything...but the same thing happens every time.

From any experts experience out there, is this something that would be worthwhile from a cost perspective to get repaired? Are there any ideas as to what this problem could be? The repair shops I've called want to charge me $25 to investigate, which can go towards the cost of the repairs if I choose to do so.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!

Steve

Old 05-28-04, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the TV shops in my town are out of business. There's a good reason for that, TV sets today are more expensive to fix than to replace. It sounds like you have a power supply problem of some sort. Many of the TV sets produced today derive the power supply voltages from the horizontal deflection section. That's about the hardest, least understood, and most expensive area of the TV to work on. You could spend $100's getting the set fixed. One the other hand it could be a simple short somewhere that can be quickly found. It's a crap shoot. You can spend the $25 and hope the TV repair guy is honest and isn't trying to rip you off. It's up to you to either roll the dice and take your chances or run away from the problem like your family member did.

Old 05-28-04, 10:33 AM
Stoppa1010
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks! I appriciate the advice. Since I'm made of money (not) and love gambling I guess I'll pay $25 to see the "dealer's hand." Thanks!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: