Car radio clock/tuner light inop

Old 05-28-04, 07:28 PM
Charlaur
Visiting Guest
Question Car radio clock/tuner light inop

We have a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire with a Delco radio installed. The radio/CD player works fine but the clock/station indicator does not light up. How hard is it to fix and is it even worth the hassle of removing the stereo from the dash.

Old 05-29-04, 11:36 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's probably not worth messing with - I would just replace the whole unit with a new In-dash. You may have a bad connection to the LCD, or you could have a bad LCD - there's no telling until it's taken completely apart and inspected. That's not cheap.

Just buy a new one.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-04, 06:15 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or the LCD could be backlit with bulbs that have burnt out. You'd be looking at probably $5 in parts and however long it took to pull the radio and get at the bulbs.

Old 06-28-04, 05:14 PM
dupont24
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem with a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. If you are not scared to try it is easy to replace. First the trim around the radio needs to be removed. This may be one large piece but mine is only held in by snap-in fasteners. Once the trim is removed, remove the screws securing the radio to the dash. (mine only had two) Next unplug the antenna and all of the attached cables. You then need to remove the face plate by carefully un-snapping the fasters attaching the plate to the metal chasis. My radio has a ribbon cable that runs from the face plate to the inside of the chasis. Un-plug this cable from the face plate. Look for the bulb behind the tuner display. The bulb is held in place by a base that turns 1/4 turn and pulls out. Pull the bulb from the base and push a new one in the base. Replace everthing in reverse order. The only problem is trying to locate the replacement bulb. Since your vehicle is an older model, you may have a few screws also holding the dash trim.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: