"no disc" in DVD player

Old 05-31-04, 09:07 AM
ElaineS
Visiting Guest
"no disc" in DVD player

When we try to play a DVD,(even new ones) the player doesn't recognize that a disc is in. It just says "no disc". We have a head cleaner for our VCR, is there something similar for a DVD player, that is inserted into the machine? If not how to clean the laser that reads the discs?
Thanks
Elaine

Old 05-31-04, 02:53 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, there are laser cleaning discs available - and that's where I would start.

But, if that doesn't work, then it's very possible the laser head is out of alignment. You'll have to take it to a shop to get it repositioned properly.

Tell us what make/model of DVD player you have - there may be someone who knows a little about them that could be of more help.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-04, 10:10 AM
D
In our experience, cleaning doesn't help. Alignment is a long shot also. Lasers in DVD players go bad all the time. Check the price of a new player before thinking about repairing the old one. Don't be fooled by the higher end units either. They fail at the same rate as the less expensive ones.

Dakota

Old 06-02-04, 09:39 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Excellent advice, dakota, thanks for helping out. Any recommendations on a good brand to look for? Or, are they like most other electronics, all the insides are made by the same company?

Old 06-03-04, 08:19 AM
ElaineS
Visiting Guest
Thanks...........I did buy a laser cleaning disc, and it seems to be working, at least for right now. Just in case it is a temporary fix, how does a laser head get out of alignment? This DVD player (a RCA) has hardly been moved since we got it about 2 yrs ago or so. I could see if it was bumped or dropped (in that case, alignment would be a lesser problem.) but it has not.

Old 06-05-04, 03:32 AM
S
Much to my suprise I have resurrected a dvd player with a cleaning disc. I had to run the disc on repeat all day, but it did do the trick.

I don't know the details on laser alignment, but I do know that the laser has to move to read the different parts of the disc. so it's own movement, over time, can cause it to go out of alignment.

Buying a new player is almost always a better idea than taking one to a repair shop. Good players can be had for $100 or less. I would look into a JVC XV-N44 or 50 if I was in the market.

Old 06-05-04, 03:38 AM
S
Not all dvd players are created equal. Consider most anything under $50 to be equally crappy. The good stuff uses Faroudja video processing, but you're gonna pay for it. Check out this site:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: