Sub Woofer - Potential Easy fix or Throw it away?

Old 06-03-04, 10:35 AM
JNRI
Visiting Guest
Sub Woofer - Potential Easy fix or Throw it away?

Hello,

I have a Polk Audio PSW350 sub woofer. I was rewiring my home theater after getting a new receiver and accidently touched (And I mean barely brushed against) the LINE IN port with an RCA wire connector. I heard some feedback and then the power light went out on the sub woofer and it has been dead ever since.

It seems obvious to even the electronically challenged that something has shorted out. My questions to any out there that can help:

1) Is this the kind of problem where swapping out some kind of circuit/fuse/capacitor(sp?) will fix this right up or is the whole unit toast?

2) It is a very nice Sub-Woofer and it was a gift from my wife so I would like to save it if at all possible... Is it worth replacing the guts if they are fried?

3) The connector that touched the LINE IN connector on the subwoofer was not even connected to anything.. Why would something like that happen?

4) If I have to buy a new one what is the KEY specification that I should look for? Is it the construction of the box itself? The Crossover Rating? I am not concerned with wattage since the room is not that big and this one was more than enough for my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

Old 06-05-04, 03:23 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only easy fix I'm aware of is the possibility of a blown fuse. Pull the amp plate and/or speaker out of the box and check for one.

Let me know what your budget is, and I can point you in the right direction. Two options to get you started:

1. Budget sub

2. Anything from SVS

Old 06-06-04, 09:35 PM
JNRI
Visiting Guest
Than

There was no fuse.

Thanks for your help, I have decided to just upgrade.

Old 06-08-04, 01:14 AM
S
Somthing else that just occured to me, you could buy yourself a new plate amp from www.partsexpress.com. They are not expensive, and installation is easy.

Old 06-17-04, 11:17 AM
J
Contact Polk Audio Customer Service. If it is still under warrenty, you might get it repaired/replaced. Polk's Customer Service is very good about things like this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: