Coax Crimp Probs

Old 06-21-04, 03:11 PM
Jacob
Visiting Guest
Coax Crimp Probs

I went to home depot and bought 100ft of RG-6U Cable along with crimp style connectors and a cable striper and RG6U and RG59 Crimper.

I had no problem striping the cable but when I places the connector on and crimped it as far as it would crimp on the RG6 dye, the connector sits on the cable but easly can spin on the cable I get a perfect sinal but was afraid that the cable would come off so I used the 59 dye abd the connector stays on the cable.

has anyone ever had this problem, what can be wron I used IDEAL connectors and an I beliver GR brand crimper should I have used san IDEAL crimper,

I had dual sheled cable and dual sheild connectors

Old 06-21-04, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redo the cuts and crimps with new RG6 connectors.

1) cut 3/4 inch of new end all the way down to the center copper center conductor.

2) cut only 1/4 inch off outside black plastic coating.

3) strip back silver wire shield, you can leave the silver foil on the white di-electric.

4) push/twist the connector on as far as it will go. Then crimp.
a bit of center conductor can be snipped off it it's too long.

fred

Old 06-21-04, 06:30 PM
Jacob
Visiting Guest
I tried that at it still spins can it be because I used a crimper and connectors from 2 diffrent manufactures.

Old 06-21-04, 07:04 PM
Double check your cable markings - an RG6 connector will spin and not go on RG59 cable, even if crimped. (as info, an RG59 connector won't fit on RG6 cable)
Diff crimper mfgs. sh not matter as long as you use the RG6 slot for the rg6 connectors.

fred

Old 06-22-04, 10:07 AM
Jacob
Visiting Guest
Everything I used was RG6U can it be the crimper it seems to not crimp enough but the crimper went all the way it could.

Old 06-23-04, 02:24 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Exclamation

One more thing to check: Some crimpers have two slots - one for RG6 and the other for RG59 - If yours has two, check and make sure you are using the right one.

-Jack

Old 06-23-04, 03:53 PM
And another!

when you cut off 1/4 inch of the outside black platsic, just peel over the silver shielding, don't remove it. The center tube of the F-connector is forced(twisted) between the shielding and the foiled dielectric(white insulator).
So, in effect, the rolled over shielding helps hold the connector on after crimping.

I hope you get it!

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: