Outdoor speaker wiring with volume control.

Old 06-25-04, 07:29 PM
fitzrocks
Visiting Guest
Outdoor speaker wiring with volume control.

I'm getting ready to run some speaker wires from my stereo system to my new backyard patio. I would like to wire them up to a weatherproof outdoor volume control and mount it right next to my 110 volt outlet that my low voltage lighting plugs into. My neighbor said that I can't run them (the speaker wire connecting to the volume control & a 110 volt wire inside the same weatherproof plastic electrical tubing) together, in fact he said that they must be 18" apart due to interference or something. Is this correct, or can I mount them as planned? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! Dan

Old 06-26-04, 10:45 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am not an EE but I would imagine there needs to be some distance between the high voltage and low voltage lines. The high voltage will induce a magnetic field around the insulation and I would think it could interfere with the low voltage signals. Maybe not see in the lighting but you might have an issue with the audio signal. When I work on running long line of 110V 220V and low voltage signal wiring in equipment, I use a high voltage tray and a low voltage signal tray as far away as I can.

Not sure if you will detect an issue in sound though. Maybe someone can talk to that.

Old 06-30-04, 07:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Generally it's a no-no to run your speaker wires and parallel to anything. If your AC line is nice and clean you really should not have much trouble. By a clean AC line I mean no: air conditioners, vacuum cleaners, air compressors.... To be hones, most outdoor speakers are pretty crappy and outside is not an audiophile's delight so you probably not hear much induced noise from your speakers.

I am more concerned about puting "other" wiring in the same box with your AC wiring. Code does not allow two different AC circuits in the same box, so in general I don't like to see different things mixed in the same box. Also, I'd be carefull... if you touch a speaker wire to a hot AC wire you could hurt your receiver/amp.

Old 07-16-04, 08:24 PM
rpenuch
Visiting Guest
Outdoor speaker wiring

Code does not allow low and hi voltage to be run together. You could possibly energize the low voltage. Also you may get electrical feedback.

Old 08-05-04, 02:05 AM
Terahertz
Visiting Guest
code is stupid, if you know what your doing then dont worry, i mean technicaly people withought an electricians licence arent even supposed to wire their own houses. And i do it all the time. And i do also run high and low voltage lines in the same boxes etc. the only thing to keep in mind is that if you damage your house etc. and the wireing wasnt code followed, your insurance wont cover it. but if you do it properly your fine. about the volume controll, are you looking to build the circuit on your own or are you going to buy a in line volume controll from radioshack?

Old 08-05-04, 06:31 AM
B
code is meant to save lives

The code is not stupid. It is there to save lives. Ignoring the code is akin to throwing chlorine into your gene pool (Darwin was right). Too many people have been hurt because "they knew better".

Do it right. Its not just the house you may damage. It could be you, a family member or friend that gets hurt.

Old 08-05-04, 08:34 PM
Terahertz
Visiting Guest
meh keep your safety to yourself, i know the code i took the course, but if its dont right you need not worry

Old 08-12-04, 12:35 PM
R
Originally Posted by BobF
The code is not stupid. It is there to save lives. Ignoring the code is akin to throwing chlorine into your gene pool (Darwin was right). Too many people have been hurt because "they knew better".

Do it right. Its not just the house you may damage. It could be you, a family member or friend that gets hurt.
In most cases, the code is written to maximize safety. But in many cases it's written to minimize liability. Big difference, insofar as the first are written by engineers and the second by attorneys who are not experts in anything but the law.

Anyhow, unless you don't mind a 60hz hum in your audio, keep a good distance between speaker wires and romex. Especially stay away from a low voltage transformer.

Old 08-18-04, 09:58 PM
nikon90s
Visiting Guest
your neighbor is 100% right the magnetic feald that a 110 line produces will give your speakers a hum. If you have to cross a 110 line then do it a 90*

As for code just try to sell your house with wiring that is not up to code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: