Speaker question

Old 06-27-04, 11:18 AM
thetheway
Visiting Guest
Speaker question

I purchased a Panasonic ct-27l8s tv and find the small stereo speakers in the set have very limited range and raspy sound. From what I have read this is a common complaint with this model.
I would like to replace them with 2 good quality 8 ohm external speakers that I have , but noticed the speakers in the set are rated 16 ohm.
Could I install an 8 ohm resistor in series to equal 16 ohms?
Any suggestions would be apperciated

Old 06-28-04, 12:48 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The impedence of the speaker is not an issue. Your concern should be saftey. Your set is designed to prevent anyone from coming in contact with ANY part of the circuitry. Running external wires from the chassis is defeating this. You may find a voltage potential from ground to the wires you run. This is acceptable when the speakers are inside the plastic cabinet. But not outside.

Dakota

Old 06-28-04, 07:31 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your set doesn't have external speaker connections, your best bet is to run the signal from an audio out to a receiver, and plug your speakers into the receiver.

If you want the answer to the question "Can I run 8ohm speakers off a device designed for 16 ohms without destroying anything?", I would say most likely nothing bad would happen, but the possibility is there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: