Do you know how...?

Old 06-30-04, 11:04 AM
nrishiraj
Visiting Guest
Do you know how...?

Hi people. I'm new to this forum and i'm so glad that I found it. What a brilliant forum.

Anyway, I apologise if this questions has already been answered but here goes...

Do you know if there is anyway I can split the signal of my cable digital box to a tv upstairs and control the channels upstairs aswell. Example, I can watch one channel upstairs and the downstairs cable box is on another using the same receiver?

I have heard that I need some sort of universal device which comes with a remote control and sits on top of the tv?

Thanks

Old 06-30-04, 11:21 AM
irsean
Visiting Guest
I believe...and I may be wrong but, I don't think so. Unless the Cable box has dual inputs, you will need to split the signal before the box and put a second box upstairs. If you do have the ability to view multiple channels on the same box, the remote you want should be RF instead of IR. One of the best RF-IR remotes is the Home Theater Pro. This is a RF controller with a remote IR output that interfaces with you IR device(s). You can use the Xantech IR distribution products to control multiple IR devices with the HTPro as well. I have all my A/V in a closet and use the HTPro for everything, including x10 commands. People love it when I hit one button and the macro turns on the entire entertainment center and enacts an X10 macro I have call "Movie Time" where all the lights go out except a few sconces which are left on at 10%.

Old 06-30-04, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cable coming into the house, I'm sure, is carrying both analog and digital.
Split the cable before the digital box and put the output to the upstairs tv and the other split to the digital cable box. The upstairs tv won't have the digital channels, but it will have all the analogs.

fred

Old 06-30-04, 07:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
You can use a simple cable splitter (about $2 at Radio Shack or Wally World). Put it on the end of the coax cable on the output side of your cable box. Both of your TV's will be showing the same program.

Old 07-01-04, 06:18 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No

You have a choice - split the signal after before it goes into the cable box and run it into a cable-ready TV and/or recorder

OR

split the signal after it comes out of the cable box and both TVs will watch the same channel.

Or you can splurge and spend the extra $5/month on a second cable box.

Old 07-01-04, 12:16 PM
irsean
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by BobF
Or you can splurge and spend the extra $5/month on a second cable box.
Yeah, I pay for 5 Sat sets, 4 are in my house and the 5th goes to the River with me or with my father in his RV. Can't take cable with you, though LOL

DEATH TO CABLE!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: