home audio/theatre

Old 07-14-04, 08:07 AM
dr.evil
Visiting Guest
home audio/theatre

I'm looking to puchase a home theatre system...but now am wondering if I'd be better off simply getting a great audio system, including a receiver and speakers to create my own home theatre. I welcome all thoughts and ideas...I'm new to this sort of thing...

Thanks

Old 07-14-04, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will probably be better off purchasing components and building your system. Get a good 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby A/V receiver and the speakers of your choice.
And for viewing TV, preferably in High Definition, a powered sub woofer will MAKE the system. It doesn't have to break your bank - you can get a 100 watt SW for a little over a hundred dollars for starters. You can always upgrade with speakers.

happy shopping,

fred

Old 07-14-04, 06:40 PM
B
Yes, a sub makes things stand out. If you plan to use the audio system to also play music, you need some good front main speakers, as those itsy, bitsy speakers just don't cut it when it comes to playing music, imo.

Old 07-14-04, 08:26 PM
MillerUnlimited
Visiting Guest
It really depends on what kind of set up you want. If you want a home theater then you might be satisfied with smaller speakers. Some smaller ones pack a big punch. The subwoofers are what really creates the movie theater feel. If you are looking for music then get a surround sound with floorstanding speakers.

Old 07-14-04, 08:33 PM
MillerUnlimited
Visiting Guest
also

In January I purchased a 5.1 JBL home theater system with a Sony 6.1 110x6 Receiver. So far it has worked out pretty nicely. Some things to really think about when going for a home theater are the placement of speakers and what you will use them for. If you buy a subwoofer, I suggest setting it either behind or in front of you. Moving a subwoofer to one side will leave your ears feeling funny if it's on one side. For true bass you can always buy 2 subwoofers and use a Y-connector. If you want a minimal system go with the 5.1 which usually consists of either 4 identical speakers and a woofer, or 2 floor, 2 book shelf, center, subwoofer. 6.1 allows you to add a surround back speaker. 7.1 will eventually become standard in a few years so it might be a good idea to invest in that.

Hope this gets some thoughts stirred!

Old 07-16-04, 05:47 AM
B
separate components are more flexible

Separate components are more flexible and are usually better components. You can add to and upgrade the various pieces as your budget allows.

Get a good receiver up front. A great receiver can make average speakers sound good. You can upgrade speakers as you go along. eg) I have floorstanding speakes for my fronts and bookshelf in the rear. This winter I will upgrade the fronts and use the existing fronts for the rear. The rear bookshelf speakers will then go to my den to replace the old stereo speakers.

Make sure you get a receiver with a digital coax AND at least two digital optical inputs.
If you are into music, consider a receiver with analog surround inputs as well. That way you can get into DVD-A and/or SACD music that really takes advantage of your system.
The majority of DVDs now are 5.1 and a handful that are 6.1.
My personal preference is to avoid BOSE speakers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: