No picture on TVs after lightning storm

Old 07-15-04, 10:34 AM
macduff
Visiting Guest
No picture on TVs after lightning storm

Last week there was a lightning strike across the road during a storm. After that two of my TVs in the house no longer have picture. One, a small 14", only displays snows on all channels expect for one french station. The second TV, a 32", has no picture or snow. Its completely blank, screen looks no different when it is on or off. However the volume & control menus still appear when turned on.

Are these TVs repairable and is it worth repairing them? A friend told me once a TV is affected by lightning they will always have problems.

Any advice is much appreciated.

- Macduff

Old 07-16-04, 07:27 AM
boriska00
Visiting Guest
If the lightning strikes on the power lines next to your house it can affect any home appliance. The current can go through your wiring and fry the electronics in the appliance.

When the lightning struck, did anything else get affected (electric washer/dryer, microwave, oven)? Did your circuit breakers shut off or melt?

Try connecting those TVs (especially the one that has no picture at all) to a VCR or a DVD and see if it has picture then. Maybe your cable connection (or satelite) is damaged and TVs are ok?

Hope this helps,
Boris

Old 07-16-04, 11:10 AM
macduff
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by boriska00
If the lightning strikes on the power lines next to your house it can affect any home appliance. The current can go through your wiring and fry the electronics in the appliance.

When the lightning struck, did anything else get affected (electric washer/dryer, microwave, oven)? Did your circuit breakers shut off or melt?

Try connecting those TVs (especially the one that has no picture at all) to a VCR or a DVD and see if it has picture then. Maybe your cable connection (or satelite) is damaged and TVs are ok?

Hope this helps,
Boris
Nope all my other appliances, VCR, DVD, Satelite and such were fine and we didn't lose power here during the storm or strike. I think the lightning hit a tree across the road. We saw a flash of sparks, heard a crack and felt the static discard on our skin.
I hooked VCRs to both TVs, neither showed a change. I suspect the damage came through the satelite cable connection to the TVs. They were both unpluged at the time of the lightning hit. These two TVs were at the part of the house that was closest to the strike. The TV at the other end of the house was not affected at all.
I tried a working TV with the satelite and VCR connections that the now defunked TVs had prior to the strike. Its picture was fine and all connections worked.

*shrugs* TVs toast?

Mac

Old 07-16-04, 12:34 PM
boriska00
Visiting Guest
Sounds like it is toast
If you felt electrostatic on your skin........maybe it blew out some CMOS memory part in the TVs circuit boards. Maybe something that had some configurations stored and now it doesn't work.

I'm sure you can try taking it to some TV repair shop, but it might cost you more than buying a new ones. Well, not if you have one of those huge HDTV units.

Boris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: