Zenith Green Screen

Old 07-17-04, 11:21 AM
janema
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Zenith Green Screen

My 1993 model SL3283BG Zenith 32 inch TV has for months now intermittently been displaying the picture with a lovely green tint to everything. Sometimes it will spontaneously revert back to the normal color scheme. Sometimes it will revert if I turn the TV on and off multiple times (though I'm not sure my doing so "causes" the picture to right itself). My messing with color adjustments on the color menu has absolutely no effect.

Any ideas on what the issue might be, if it's worth repairing, and what that might cost?

Thanks very much!!

Old 07-20-04, 01:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sounds like it may be a bad conection, but the messing with the color control
with no effect, it may be the tube. take in to a shop to get an estimate . when you take it in, say you think it's connection, don't mention the tube at all.
hope this helps, snuffs

Old 07-20-04, 03:44 PM
janema
Visiting Guest
Smile zenith green screen

snuffs,

Thanks so much for your reply. One thing I'd like to clarify .....when you suggest it may be a connection do you mean one of the external connections (e.g. cable, etc.) or something internal that would require opening up the TV (which I wouldn't risk trying myself)?

Thanks again,

Jane

Old 07-20-04, 06:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
jane, somethig inside the set.in fact, try tapping the side of the set when it acts up. the more sensitve, the better, but don't be afraid to slap the side too. this would indicate a bad connection. good luck,snuffs

Old 07-20-04, 06:40 PM
janema
Visiting Guest
green zenith

Will do, snuffs. Again, thank you very, very much.

Jane

Old 08-05-04, 02:18 AM
Terahertz
Visiting Guest
sounds like you have a cold solder joint (poor or broken) on the tube socket. ive had this happen may times, either with the colours going or the heater not starting, also it could be that one of the colour driver transistors has gone.
if its fixable on your own DO IT, dont waste money because they overcharge

Old 08-05-04, 06:00 AM
janema
Visiting Guest
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Appreciated.

Old 08-11-04, 04:42 PM
melwats
Visiting Guest
Zenith

Zenith TVs circa 93 are infamous for bad picture tubes. They either have weak emission or internal shorts. The situation that you describe sounds exactly like a heater to cathode short which can be intermittent. If you have a friend who is handy with tools and knows a little about electronics this can be fixed to give you a little more service from the set. What I usually do is clip the two heater wires to the CRT (going to pins 9 & 10), wrap two turns of light gauge wire around the flyback transformer coil and attach the ends to the CRT board ends of the wires that I just clipped. The final step is to open the ground circuit off of pin 9 of the PC board. I would not invest a lot of money in this set because of the questionable reliability of Zenith picture tubes and once they go, it is cheaper to replace the set that to peplace the tube.

Old 08-11-04, 05:37 PM
janema
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Melwats, so much for your expert information. I'm afraid I've already tossed the TV, but I still appreciate your input. Interestingly, I began having trouble with the picture less than a year after purchase, so I can vouch for what you say. The trouble was different then, but it still involved the picture. No more Zeniths for me for a while.

Thanks again for the effort!

Jane

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: