Installing method of 1/4" Phone Jack to TV

Old 07-17-04, 05:53 PM
Dani Rosen
Visiting Guest
Installing method of 1/4" Phone Jack to TV

Hi,

I'm trying to find information on installing a 1/4" phone jack to an older TV that has no RCA or stereo jacks on it. I plan to open the TV and split the speaker cables to the new jack I got from Radio Shack.

What I want to achieve is having the speaker sound muted as soon as I plug headphones to the TV, but I'm not sure how the connections should work to make that happen.

I bought a 1/4" Stereo Phone Jack from Radio Shack, as I mentioned, and I'm not sure whether I should have, perhaps, bought the Mono Jack instead, since it's likely this TV doesn't even have a stereo output.

In any case - I'd really appreciate some explanation on how the wiring should work, or if you could point me to web pages that show diagrams or the likes.

Thanks,

Dani.

Old 07-17-04, 11:11 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think attempting to attach headphones to speaker wire is a good idea. I can't explain why (ohmage?), but I don't think it will work as you're expecting.

A more elegant solution for a little more money would be to buy a VCR and receiver. Use the tv tuner in the vcr, run the sound to the receiver and plug your headphones into the receiver. With a little hunting you could probably find both a VCR and receiver used for under $50.

Old 07-18-04, 12:21 AM
Dani Rosen
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks - I'll think about that.
This is the bedroom TV and I wanted to connect my wireless headphones to it - but I didn't want to add much more hardware around the TV. I might reconcider.

Thanks,

Dani.

Old 07-20-04, 01:33 AM
mixmutt
Visiting Guest
radio snack

actually, if the tv has mono outputs, there's a very simple solution. Radio shack makes an "open circuit" 1/8 inch jack that does exactly what you want: when you plug the phones in, the speaker cuts out. unplug the phones, and the speaker works. you end up with a mono-to-stereo and 1/8-to-1/4 adapters, but since you're using a wireless base it shouldn't be a big deal. i don't know if radio shack makes an adapter that does both in one step, if not another place to look would be parts express.
hope that helps!

Old 07-20-04, 01:39 AM
mixmutt
Visiting Guest
ohmage

also of note: normally, attaching headphones to speaker outputs is a good way to blow the phones, your ears, or both, but a tv puts out such low wattage that even with an impedance mismatch (ie 8ohm speakers, 4ohm phones) you won't have enough power to cause trouble. Of course, the first time you try this setup i'd turn the tv down to where you can barely hear it, plug in the phones, and work up from there, just to be safe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: