Floor recepticle for speaker connections?

Old 07-18-04, 11:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Floor recepticle for speaker connections?

Am hooking up a surround sound system, and need to run speaker wires across a room with hardwood floors. The good news is that the basement below this room is unfinished, so I can route the wires down, across, and back up. Rather than just drill holes in the floor, however, I would like to install a not-too-ugly recepticle in the floor - something with a closing lid would be nice.

Any ideas where I might find such an item? Haven't had much luck searching so far.
Old 07-19-04, 09:42 PM
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not to throw a wrench into your plans, but your surround speakers should be above the listener's ears, not on the floor.

a better way to do it would be to put a jack on the wall and run the wire through the floor inside the wall.
Old 07-20-04, 02:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Cool floor boxes

i just recently had to search for floor connection boxes for an installed system, so happily i can point you to FSR and Mystery Electronics.
FSR seems more willing to make custom plates, or you can just buy blanks and make your own. Both companies make lots of different sizes and finishes (or most are paintable).
i have to agree with stereoguy, though, your speakers need to be up on the wall, not the floor.
Old 07-21-04, 12:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
RE:Floor recepticle for speaker connections?

Thanks stereoguy and mixmutt! I will check into the companies mentioned.

To put your minds at ease, the speakers will be at ear level...I just wanted to come up through the floor rather than the wall.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: