In Dash Car Radio/Cassette Player

Old 07-20-04, 10:19 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Dash Car Radio/Cassette Player

I/m not sure if I'm posting this question in the correct forum so please let me know if I should post it in the automotive section. My car cassette player works, but the tapes are dragging. They play but it's like they are playing at a slower speed. Years ago they had records that played at 45 speed and 33 speed (I'm telling my age here). The tapes sound like if you took a 45 speed record and played it at 33 speed (if anyone can remember back that far.) Is this something that can be fixed by a repair shop or do I need to purchase a new in dash radio/cassette player for my car? I travel alot with my job and sure do miss the tape player! I appreciate the advice. Kathy

Old 07-20-04, 03:51 PM
mixmutt
Visiting Guest
Question techno update

you know, there's these nifty new things out there called "CDs".. they're flat, round, and they spin really fast. kind of like records, but shinier and way better sound quality...
by chance, does the speed occasionally "warble", as though the tape is speeding up and slowing down? If so, it's likely the capstan motor is going. You could get it replaced, but it might be cheaper to just get a whole new player. check ebay, you might even come up with an OEM player for your car.

Old 07-20-04, 08:08 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not to mention, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new one then to have that one even looked at. I've seen in-dash tape decks (yes, I actually have seen them) for as low as about $35-40.

Check Crutchfield.com for a good deal - or just try eBay. There are several listed on eBay on a daily basis.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-04, 06:59 AM
K
In Dash Radio/Cassette Player

Thanks, guys. I think I will just go ahead and replace the unit. I appreciate your help. Kathy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: