Connecting Multiple Speaker Pairs

Old 08-09-04, 11:33 AM
1clevergurl
Visiting Guest
Question Connecting Multiple Speaker Pairs

I currently have an amplifier with and A and B speaker output. I have two sets of speakers on the amplifier already and normally run both when watching a DVD, listening to CDs, etc. I wired for an outdoor set of speakers the other day and would like to be able to connect to the same amplifier without having to sacrifice one of the pairs I already have on there.

Is there anything I can get that will allow me to hook up 3 sets of speakers to a two output amplifier? I figured I can move the two existing speaker onto the A output since I run them together anyways and put the outdoors on the remaining B output. I figure it isn't as simple as just plugging both speaker pairs into the A output and putting the outdoor speakers in B, but I could be wrong.

Also, if you need to extend speaker wire (couple two lengths) what's the best way to do it?

Old 08-09-04, 11:48 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, if you have a stereo amplifier (surround or dolby digital is a different story) you'll get the best sound by only running 2 speakers at once. There are many reasons for this, but without getting into the specifics I would strongly recommend running 2 speakers on A for dvds/cds and then hook up your outside speakers to B.

If you insist on running 4, you can plug all 4 into the A terminals, provided the ohmage is acceptable. Find out the minimum ohms rating on your amp. It should be on the back, and it is probably 4 or 8 ohms. Then find out the ohmage of you speakers. They are probably 8 or 16. Two pairs of 8 ohm speakers make a 4 ohm load. Two pairs of 16 ohm speaks make a 8 ohm load. Do not exceed the minimum ohm rating on your amp.

To splice two wires together strip an end of each about 1 inch. Then twist the loose ends on each wire together, then put both bare wires next to each other and twist them together. Wrap the + and - separately with electrical tape. be sure not to mix up the + and -.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: